Recommend barrel lenght?

crazymonkey

Just picked up a stainless encore the other day . It's currently setup as a 7-08 rifle with a Bergera 20 inch barrel . I'd like to run this as a pistol and re stock it . What length should I have the barrel cut to ? I figure something like 15 to 17 inches . I'd also have it threaded for my omega 300.
Current setup picture

Attachments

• 20230817_123454.thumb.jpg.5c2e041a36c03a2d02752379dbedb426.jpg
    20230817_123454.thumb.jpg.5c2e041a36c03a2d02752379dbedb426.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 49
If that was sold from TC as a rifle unfortunately you will not be able to convert it to a pistol short of registering it as an SBR. Once a rifle, always a rifle. The from a pistol to a "firearm" thing works if your careful and abide by that slippery slope of rules but the other way around is a no no.

If that was sold from TC as a rifle unfortunately you will not be able to convert it to a pistol short of registering it as an SBR. .
How do you find that out? How is a LEO going to know it was originally a rifle in the field? Is there a readily available database for this information for the laymen? Did T/C clearly mark the frame as Pistol or Rifle?

My bet is if it looks like a duck, walks and quacks like a duck, it's a duck to the LEO in the field. However, this is not legal advice in any form to you or the OP. Nor am I advocating breaking the law in anyway.

In US v. T/C, SCOUTS said the rule of lenity applied as the law was deemed ambiguous. I realize this case was for converting pistols to carbines. However, if the information (originally sold as pistol, rifle, or frame) isn't made available by manufacturer or regulatory agencies can the end user know they are doing something illegal?

Last edited:
I currently have two contenders one as a pistol and one as a rifle .There are no 4473 forms or background checks required for private sale here in Arizona. I absolutely get I can't run a barrel under 16 inches with the rifle stock . But how can one find out if the frame was sold as a rifle or pistol? Just because the encore is currently a rifle doesn't mean it was sold that way . I guess I can always check with my local Leo and see what they say. If it requires a sbr stamp it's no big deal its just paperwork and a few bucks just like my form 4s for my suppressors.

Being that it has an aftermarket barrel on it, there's no way knowing what it was when it left the factory. My 7-08 barrel is 17" so I can use it as a carbine if I choose. I think 15" is ideal for a pistol.
Cut it to whatever length you want, put a pistol grip on it and enjoy. I have 9 Encores and every one was purchased as a rifle and all except one is a pistol now.

Being that it has an aftermarket barrel on it, there's no way knowing what it was when it left the factory. My 7-08 barrel is 17" so I can use it as a carbine if I choose. I think 15" is ideal for a pistol.
Cut it to whatever length you want, put a pistol grip on it and enjoy. I have 9 Encores and every one was purchased as a rifle and all except one is a pistol now.
If you buy a rifle and convert it to a pistol it's considered an SBR under the NFA and legally has to be registered as such. It falls under the definition of a "weapon made from a rifle". One of the easiest ways to get caught with an unregistered SBR is to post about your unregistered SBRs online.

I currently have two contenders one as a pistol and one as a rifle .There are no 4473 forms or background checks required for private sale here in Arizona. I absolutely get I can't run a barrel under 16 inches with the rifle stock . But how can one find out if the frame was sold as a rifle or pistol? Just because the encore is currently a rifle doesn't mean it was sold that way . I guess I can always check with my local Leo and see what they say. If it requires a sbr stamp it's no big deal its just paperwork and a few bucks just like my form 4s for my suppressors.
The only way to know is to go back to TC and see what it was when it left the factory or figure out who originally bought it and ask them. If it was a rifle it'd need to be registered, if it was a pistol you're fine, if it was a bare receiver it would be difficult at best to prove it was built into a rifle before a pistol. I'm not sure if TC will respond to an individual query, but they'd have to respond to a trace initiated by law enforcement if it ever went that far. You're probably in a real bad place already of that happens.

You could do a 16" barrel and a crusher loop that gets you over 26" OAL if it started as a rifle to avoid registering it. SBRing it also means engraving it and Form 20s for interstate travel.

To answer your original question, I like 15" barrels. I have a few that are a little longer to get a little more velocity, but most are 15". Shorter (10" or so) would be my preference for hunting from a stand, but I use a revolver instead of a single shot in those cases.

The only way to know is to go back to TC and see what it was when it left the factory or figure out who originally bought it and ask them. If it was a rifle it'd need to be registered, if it was a pistol you're fine, if it was a bare receiver it would be difficult at best to prove it was built into a rifle before a pistol. I'm not sure if TC will respond to an individual query, but they'd have to respond to a trace initiated by law enforcement if it ever went that far. You're probably in a real bad place already of that happens.

You could do a 16" barrel and a crusher loop that gets you over 26" OAL if it started as a rifle to avoid registering it. SBRing it also means engraving it and Form 20s for interstate travel.

To answer your original question, I like 15" barrels. I have a few that are a little longer to get a little more velocity, but most are 15". Shorter (10" or so) would be my preference for hunting from a stand, but I use a revolver instead of a single shot in those cases.
I'm planning on a trip to the Leo for an inquiry into if they can tell me if it was a rifle or pistol. I have a few 10 inch barrels .357 harret,and 30 but think the super 14 barrels are better balanced I've got a 44mag and a 223 for my Contender pistol and a 223 rifle barrel on the stainless frame with a Boyd's rifle stock .