Recommend an AR15?

pontoon

California is looking to ban AR15s so I'm thinking about getting one before it's too late. I don't really need one--so it's hard to say what I'd use it for. Most likely it would be used for just making it as accurate as possible, target practice, reloading for it, that sort of thing. I don't want to spend a fortune on it since I probably won't use it much. But I would enjoy playing with it to increase the accuracy and its long range capabilities (while still retaining the spirit of the gun... Is a 26 inch barrel AR15 still an AR15? (not sure they make them that long but you get the point)). As with everything I like lightweight guns as I'm a lightweight person, but weight is not the primary concern on this gun... Mostly accuracy and price. And it has to be available with a "bullet button" and a 10 round magazine.

BUILD YOUR OWN!!

First of all it's cool, (rewarding)!

Second of all, you will defenitely get the most bang for your buck as far as accuracy and options that YOU want goes.

I personally just ordered a 20" barrel from T-Box barrels with a rifle length gas system. I will do a melonite treatment on it and go from there.

I've only built three complete AR's now so I by no means an expert, but with about $100 invested in some tools and a good barrel you will be on the right path. (Receiver face lapping tool, and an Armor's Wrench are essential).

As far as handguards go, I'm a Daytona Tactical guy (Slim Keymod). Don't waste your money on anything but their handguards. The receivers are crap, IMO., and I don't know how well their BCGs are actually tested. (That is the last thing in your gun you need to break!)

Just my two cents, there are plenty of YouTube videos to help you out if you get lost.

I would also go with a 20" barrel with what you have stated in your OP, I found this article very informative when I was considering a 22" barrel!

http://www.loaddata.com/articles/PDF/LD-31 Haviland LR.pdf

You can order all the parts from radical firearms and build your own. I just purchased a .300 blackout upper from them for $200!! I would get an AR, once you do it, then you'll see how fun and practical they are. Exciting/fast shooting, accurate mid distance target practice, great hunting, and an excellent self defense weapon. Good luck with your purchase! gun)

http://www.radicalfirearms.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i559l906PzI

What caliber would you choose if you wanted it to be capable of hunting wild boar?

5.56 will work, but might require a few shots to put them down quick. .300 BLK would also work, but for close range (100 yards or less) with heavy subsonics. 6.5 Grendel would be the best mixture of function and format without needing to step up to an AR-10.

If hog hunting is your primary intent, .50 Beowulf or .450 Bushmaster would also be calibers to look into.

But best all-around caliber, I still gotta go with the 6.5 Grendel.

I've been looking at 6.5 Grendel. I have in mind a fixed zoom scope with not very high magnification. Is that a dumb idea? I know the Grendel is a good long range round so I don't know if a fixed power scope which might be good for close to medium range hunting would be at odds with the long range ability of the 6.5 Grendel caliber. In other words, if I want to use it for pig hunting maybe I shouldn't care about long range so much.

I've been looking at 6.5 Grendel. I have in mind a fixed zoom scope with not very high magnification. Is that a dumb idea? I know the Grendel is a good long range round so I don't know if a fixed power scope which might be good for close to medium range hunting would be at odds with the long range ability of the 6.5 Grendel caliber. In other words, if I want to use it for pig hunting maybe I shouldn't care about long range so much.

Well
for accuracy and long range capability in a AR-15 this is hard to beat

6mmAR Turbo 40 Improved

you can also get you a 5.56 or wild chambered upper

and a 300 blackout upper

and a 6.5 or 6.8 upper for hunting

have all the bases covered

If you go blackout and want to build a short barreled rifle and suppress it then you will need a dedicated lower for the short barrel I recommend an NFA trust because then you will have 2 NFA weapons. Is it allowed in California

as for a lower just build you one. buy the stripped lower of your choice and build it to your specs

for accuracy I would recommend a Geissele SSA-e or national match trigger. I am sure there will be lots more opinions.

for accuracy I would recommend a fixed stock. A2 is a cheap option. Plenty of precision fixed stocks out there. If you go carbine then use the vltor A5 extension,spring and buffer. You won't regret it.

as for the stripped lower. You can buy a stripped forged lower for $65 or a billet lower for around $200 or an 80% lower for $45. I use the CMT tactical billet but that is a personal choice.

Been reading more. Looks like 450 bushmaster is a much better hog cartridge although quite different from my original idea of what I wanted the gun to be. Now to noodle on it...

You could put one of these on there and be able to do both... You could easily hunt hogs from as close as 50 yards, and shoot steel on out to 750 yards, or more depending on your eyesight.

SWFA SS 6x42 Tactical Riflescope | SWFA

If you go blackout and want to build a short barreled rifle and suppress it then you will need a dedicated lower for the short barrel I recommend an NFA trust because then you will have 2 NFA weapons. Is it allowed in California

You don't need a dedicated lower...You can put any upper on a registered SBR lower. So, he would only really need the one lower, and the SBR stamp for that lower...

As bad as I want an SBR, I built a 16" .300 BLK and have no regrets with the build.

You don't need a dedicated lower...You can put any upper on a registered SBR lower. So, he would only really need the one lower, and the SBR stamp for that lower...

As bad as I want an SBR, I built a 16" .300 BLK and have no regrets with the build.

I guess I used the wrong terms. What I meant was if you build a short barreled upper you have to have a registered lower to put it on. You can use other uppers on that lower but you can't put the short barreled upper on another lower. Its all so stupid.

I want a blackout. Looks like a real fun gun. I just can't find that purpose for it. Really a little anemic for hogs. Shooting it suppressed would be fun but ....

I have decided to build me a hog gun around this.

30 ARX

kind of between a blackout and a .308. pushing 150's at 2500 to 2600 would get the job done. short range work anyway. That next shot comes real easy with an AR.

AR-10's are just so heavy.

put a FLIR or ATN thermal sight on it

maybe one day a can

that would have a purpose

I guess I used the wrong terms. What I meant was if you build a short barreled upper you have to have a registered lower to put it on. You can use other uppers on that lower but you can't put the short barreled upper on another lower. Its all so stupid.

I want a blackout. Looks like a real fun gun. I just can't find that purpose for it. Really a little anemic for hogs. Shooting it suppressed would be fun but ....

I have decided to build me a hog gun around this.

30 ARX

kind of between a blackout and a .308. pushing 150's at 2500 to 2600 would get the job done. short range work anyway. That next shot comes real easy with an AR.

AR-10's are just so heavy.

put a FLIR or ATN thermal sight on it

maybe one day a can

that would have a purpose

You won't get an argument from me about that.

Saddest part is, it's all about...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OH1IilFRN94[/ame]

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.