rechambering

Warren Barrett

I know that some of you on this board is very knowledgable of a match chambering. If I were to have my 6.5-06 rehambered to a 6.5 Gibbs or something else with the same case head deminsions, how much would the barrel have to be set back to have a match grade chamber? Any recommendations on a case that would max out velocities with my capabilities shooting a 140gr. bullet. Or would it be worth the trouble? Thanks.

WB

The barrel would not have to be set back if you were going from a 6.5/06 to a 6.5 Gibbs.

Simply run the Gibbs reamer in and open up the 06 dimensions.

Am easy fix to increase the velocity if that's what you want to do.

Later
Darryl

Mr. Cassel, with your knowledge, between the 6.5-06 Ack. Imp., 6.5-280Ack. Imp., and the 6.5 Gibbs which do you think would be the better one? Or maybe I should ask you which one would you choose for velocity and accuracy? Also I was told by a gunsmith that you should set back on a barrel enough to get the pilot started in the bore before the reamer started cutting to keep the chamber straight and or concentric when rechambering. Is there anything to this you think? thanks very much.

Between the calibers you mentioned, I like the 6.5/Gibbs made on the 270 or 280 length case and Norma brass. Have two of them, at present and they perform very well. There is fireforming envolved in any improved case.

The smith that chambers more Gibbs cartridges then anyone I know is Ray Romain in Brockport, PA. 814-265-1948

He will answer any question you may have.

Hello everyone. This website is truly remarkable. I appreciate everyones willingness to answer questions and sharing information concerning the things that this website is all about. And Mr. Cassel, some of those shots on game that you have spoken of is almost unreal and very admirable.Keep posting, I enjoy them and thanks for your help.

Warning! This thread is more than 23 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.