Recent Year Savages- Improvement over Past Years?

LaserMark4,

If you aren't going to twist, forget the "start your budget at 1000 bucks and go up". Just get a Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50. Sight it in and go shoot things. I paid $620 for a mil-dot model, $780 for a plex model, and $750 for a 600DOA model. The first one was purchased when they first came out. Between the first one and the second and third I tried Swarovski 5-25X, Minox 5-25X, Leupold 4-24X, and 5-20X Sightron. Those others are gone because the glass in the 6500 is better (at least gives sharper detail) and the scopes are cheaper and have hydrophobic coatings. That means they don't tend to fog or hold rain water on the outside.

For twisting I have a Nightforce.

Just saw this post. I've had the Savage 111 LRH in 300 WM for 3+ years - it's been a very good/reliable rifle. Have it topped with a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56 scope, shoots sub-moa out to 1200 yards and use it primarily for elk and bear hunting. it took some trial and effort to find the right round for the rifle - and found it liked Berger VLDHs and Hornady ELX best, using Nosler brass,H1000 powder. The article in this week's newsletter from Berger about figuring out what COAL/seating works best is exactly what I went through on this rifle a few years ago. Have probably 1200 rounds through the barrel - no issues so far. My main complaint is the stock is peeling - looks like crap, but shoots great. Will be adding a TBAC this Summer (god willing - at 340 days+ and still waiting).

Own a model 10 Predator in 6.5 CM great shooter shoots 143 ELD-X great. A little heavy with accustock is the only downside.

Just saw this post. I've had the Savage 111 LRH in 300 WM for 3+ years - it's been a very good/reliable rifle. Have it topped with a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56 scope, shoots sub-moa out to 1200 yards and use it primarily for elk and bear hunting. it took some trial and effort to find the right round for the rifle - and found it liked Berger VLDHs and Hornady ELX best, using Nosler brass,H1000 powder. The article in this week's newsletter from Berger about figuring out what COAL/seating works best is exactly what I went through on this rifle a few years ago. Have probably 1200 rounds through the barrel - no issues so far. My main complaint is the stock is peeling - looks like crap, but shoots great. Will be adding a TBAC this Summer (god willing - at 340 days+ and still waiting).

That's all really encouraging news. That's a smokin' scope and sounds like its a serious shooter and all dialed in! I will definitely take off from your valuable rounds research. I've seen a couple of others who have recommended some of the same suggestions. Good luck on the TBAC....

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.