Rebarreled M-70 Magazine

Jim-30G

I rebarreled a Model 70 (post 64, 270 Win) to a wildcat 30 Gibbs. With the sharp shoulders far forward, the cartridge feed from the magazine is tight, and I feed it slowly. I have not tried a fast or rapid reload so I don't know if it would jam. I tend to think with a bolt action "rapid fire" is not a big priority. But...

Questions:
1) Can the magazine or feed ramp be modified for a smoother & faster feed?
2) Would It be worthwhile?

Thanks for your thoughts.

You can re-shape and polish the feed ramp steeper, but unless you know what you're doing, I wouldn't recommend it, it's easy to go too far and booger it up.
You can also polish the rails, it might need widening a little, but again if you don't know what you're doing the case will jump out early and you will have trouble keeping the rounds in the mag.
Try contacting a reputable gunsmith, I'm sure someone can recommend one for you to speak with.

Cheers.

You can re-shape and polish the feed ramp steeper, but unless you know what you're doing, I wouldn't recommend it, it's easy to go too far and booger it up.
You can also polish the rails, it might need widening a little, but again if you don't know what you're doing the case will jump out early and you will have trouble keeping the rounds in the mag.
Try contacting a reputable gunsmith, I'm sure someone can recommend one for you to speak with.

Cheers.
Thank you for the comments. I'll take a look and maybe try a bit of polishing but not much. It works if feeding somewhat slowly and deliberately. A little smoother would be nice but is not a critical necessity.

1698503827936.gif

It is the short neck, steeper shoulder angle and the larger diameter shoulder which is holding back on your smooth feeding. If you are not experienced in the subtle nuances of feeding from your magazine, trust this to your gunsmith. The dimensions of your original .270 are made for feeding from this magazine and not the more abrupt shape and size of the .30 Gibbs.

:)

Yup, I could "rapid fire" the 270; I was much youngerthen. Now that I'm much older, the 30 Gibbs feeds well enough, like me, slow and deliberate.
I had the JGS reamer made so it could also cut a 270 Gibbs chamber. I suppose it would still have the same slow feed.

I had the gunsmith (Harold Broughton) set the action up so I could switch barrels, between 270 and 30 Barrels. I haven't bought an action wrench to switch yet but he did some nice world work on the old 270 barrel. I'm looking forward to seeing how well switching works.