Rebarrel - X Bolt

Thanks for the reply...
It's for a 308. It was a anniversary gift so I want to keep it reasonably original but I want it to shoot also. Thought a rebarrel would be the best thing to do.
Looking to do a 1:10 twist. Was also set on a 24" barrel but a friend explained to me that 22" May be more accurate. I doubt I will ever shoot more than a 168gr so the 10 twist should be just "groovy" (pun intended lol)
I hadn't thought about COAL until you mentioned it. I'm guessing having the chamber cut to coincide with max magazine length might keep me closer to the lands? Just a thought?? Or is this not what I should be trying to achieve?
Why do you want to re-barrel this rifle ?

Why do you want to re-barrel this rifle ?
Two reasons; the first being it walks up to 3" right -> left from a cold bore
Second, it heats up quicker than I would like. I have shot at two deer with it; only to take it home and check on paper that the cold bore zero is up to 3" to the right of center. Currently I have a cold bore zero which is compensated about 2.5" to the left considering a warm barrel.

Second, it heats up quicker than I would like. I have shot at two deer with it; only to take it home and check on paper that the cold bore zero is up to 3" to the right of center. Currently I have a cold bore zero which is compensated about 2.5" to the left considering a warm barrel.
Sounds like a good candidate for a rebarrel.

If it were mine, I'd go one of 2 directions... A) 20" Bartlein sendero/rem varmint contour 1:10 twist, or B) 24" Bartlein 3B fluted 1:10 twist.

Weight should be similar, it's just a matter of if you want shorter (more compact) and thicker barrel (better for LR consistency), or thinner barrel with slightly more velocity. Either way should produce a good result for you.

I used to have a custom .308 Win built off a Rem Model 7 action, and I had the smith cut the heavy barrel down to 20" from lug-to-crown, with a recessed target crown. It was a shooter. And it was nice and compact, too. Very portable, and was super easy to walk through the brush with. Balance was awesome, weight was easily packable, and accuracy was unmatched. It was built for a range rifle, but I used to take it hunting all the time. Dropped quite a few deer with it.

Last edited:
Oh that sucks ! Yes by all means replace that bbl . Bug hole gunsmithing has the bbl you want in stock,if you don't want to wait 6 months to get one made.I bought a weatherby Vanguard 22/250 and the stock bbl shot almost as good as my 12 gauge.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts