Rebarrel for Weatherby

JAWZ

Hi Guys,
I have a weatherby Mkv in 300 wby and i am considerin re-brreling it just after ay suggestion on wich caliber would suit the bolt face .
Only realy iterested in 30 cal and up.

Also is it possible to open up the bot faceand spread the rails on this gun to build a 338 edge out of it .

Thanks JAWZ

Jawz, the Wby Mk V would be my first choice to barrel an Edge on. If the Edge is a .300 Rum necked up or a .375 Rum necked down, the bolt face will work like it is. (Except you do need to chamfer the inside edge of the bolt lip a little). You don't have to work the rails. Just the box lips and follower. Wby has mag boxes and followers for .378 based cartridges that might work to feed the Edge. The .300 Wby box and follower probably won't without work. I like the mag length on the Mk V. It's 3.8" + or -.

The Mk V bolt is easy to open up if it does need it, like for the .338 x .378 Wby.

Good Hunting, Tom

Last edited:
MKV

Like Spec said. It would work just fine. A couple things. Weatherby can send you a longer follower to take up the whole mag well. Then have the smith mill out the bolt stop race way on the bolt to allow it reach the end of the mag well.(Mine forgot this step!)

Thanks for the replies guys i am very happy to hear that there is no need to do all that extra smithing.
This barrle has 1 more chance with 2 different projectiles if it fails to preform its off to the nackers for it.

JAWZ

I just built a 338 RUM for a guy on this action, it turned out great and he loves it.

Borescope

Suggestion;
If you don't have one find someone that does and really look at your bore before rebarreling. It may just need a good and complete cleaninng, Most copper cleaners don't do a complete job.. If it is dirty clean it before scraping it. You might save $1000.00

46, I think the .300 Wby is the first one to have the full length bolt stop slot, and doesn't have the partition in the mag box. The 7mm and smaller Wby calibers and the Std Mags (.300 Win. etc) have the short bolt stop slot and mag partition. Jawz, just look into the mag box with the bolt all the way back. Shouldn't be a partition, and the bolt face should be behind the back wall of the mag box. Or take the box out and measure the inside length. Should be +/- 3.8".

Good luck on a great project, Tom

I had a look in the magazine box and i dont think you can get a bigger 1 in there it is 95mm long and goes all the way to the front of the action.
DSCF1420.jpg

The bolt also you are right about it is able to move the full length back behind the mag so no need to mill out the bolt stop.
bolt.jpg

It seems if i want to turn this gun into the Edge the hardest thing will be the wait for my 28" lilja or Hart barrel. Havent decided yet.

Thanks for all the help guys

Andrew.

Dirty Barrel

Looks like its ready to go. Sorry for the mis information on the bolt stop. I was changing a 7 rem mag.

I know this goes against everything we talk about but, My weatherby shot .75 moa all day. Then I started really getting into target shooting and learned how to clean a barrel. I thought, why not scrub the Weatherby. After this it went to 1.5 to 2 moa. I would not tighten up. I finnaly stopped cleaning it and around 15 to 20 rounds it went right back to .75moa.

Then only thing the barrel saw after that was a wet patch of Hoppes every 15 to 20 rounds.

Just my results, yours might varry.

Willys

Its interesting you say that cause i do clean my rifles well and i also find the most consistant results out of my barrel after 10 rnds. Also i came to the conclusion that my 300 likes the bullets to jump a long way as i can get a consitant 1' five shot group out of my shortest test loads . Anyway i will load some more this round even shorter again and test if it aint under the inch its 338 time . I will post photos of the build.

JAWZ

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.