Rebarrel a 338 win mag into long range cartridge

Depends on the Ruger honestly. The old tang safety models never did it for me but I've had several of the MKII's that shot very well.

What kind of stock is on it now? Their laminate stocks tend to be very good but you need someone that knows what they are doing to properly bed them and you have to keep them torqued properly.

Depends on the Ruger honestly. The old tang safety models never did it for me but I've had several of the MKII's that shot very well.

What kind of stock is on it now? Their laminate stocks tend to be very good but you need someone that knows what they are doing to properly bed them and you have to keep them torqued properly.

Back out of the woods for a few days.
Talked to lots of people on this and now have an idea of what I think I am going to do. Wondering what you think of this.
Sending my 338 win mag A-bolt to Douglas Barrels to be fitted with a 26" stainless barrel. 264 win mag, 1:8 twist 4 groves with target crown. Talked to Stanley there who helped me pick that for $570.00 plus shipping and handling.
Also working with Sig Sauer on BDX using Kilo 3000 BDX binoculars linked to Sierra 3BDX 6.5 -20 × 52.
Using this for long range wolf hunting.

I already have a 7mm RemMag in a Ruger 77 with a 24" factory barrel. Have not played with it much but doesn't seem to shoot very good groups. Have a McMillan stock on a 300 Wby and like it. Do you think the McMillan would help the 77? Also kicks like a mule compared to the 300 Wby.
do you reload?

do you reload?
Yes I reload for about a dozen different calibers. I am not interested in the big 338 calibers because I already have a 300 wby on a Remington 700 action. It is set up for long range with a 212 ELDX and performs great.

Yes I reload for about a dozen different calibers. I am not interested in the big 338 calibers because I already have a 300 wby on a Remington 700 action. It is set up for long range with a 212 ELDX and performs great.
The Nosler and .338-375 Ruger, just necking down the .375-.338 give you two options to extend your range upping the velocity by 150-200fps without all of the issues you get into with the bigger .338's like the Norma, Lapua, and Remington and might then be well worth looking at since you reload.

The wildcat of the .338-375 Ruger is called "The .375 Bearcat". It would be worth looking at along with the 33 Nosler. A little more gas, but without all of the abuse and complications of the bigger .338's.

Reading about the .33 Nosler makes it look good. I will do some more research on it. What do you think of the Sig Sauer optics? I guide for a living and use ziess rangefinder binoculars. The Sig Sauer with built-in ballistics for the scope sounds good.

Reading about the .33 Nosler makes it look good. I will do some more research on it. What do you think of the Sig Sauer optics? I guide for a living and use ziess rangefinder binoculars. The Sig Sauer with built-in ballistics for the scope sounds good.
They are still so new to the market it's hard to say.

One thing you can certainly say about Sig though is that they do nothing that isn't high quality. All or most of Sig's production for sale in the US is made here so that's certainly a plus.

I'll stick with my Leupold VX6's though, after years of trying what's new and cool I'm back to Leupold because it's very hard to beat their glass for anyhting close to Leupold's prices and on the rare occasions one has to go back that lifetime warranty is worth it's weight in gold.

Carefull with the Sig scope. Some states do not allow electronic sighting devices. Now I don't know wich ones but it I read it on here in a scope thread.

I have Zeiss and Leupold now, and have little problems with them. The Zeiss binoculars do not adjust for shot angles. Also it will not range in rain or snow. I might try the Sig Sauer binoculars and wait on the scope. Wondering if the LED to level the VX6 would be a problem in some states. Thanks for the input.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.