Rebarel 7mmRUM to what?

I was reading about the Sherman rounds. Would I be able to rebarrel it to a 7SS?
If you're new to handloading I wouldn't do a wildcat.
The 7 SS isn't going to get you anything extra in a long action.
How fast are you wanting to push the 195 or 180's?
And are you wanting good barrel life or just a super fast hammer?
I shoot 180 ELDMs @ 3000 fps in a 7-300wsm from my Rum action.
A straight 7WSM would be about 3050 if you throated it for the 180's.
If you want to shoot 195's, and don't shoot much, I would get a 28 Nos, ADG brass is coming soon.

If you're new to handloading I wouldn't do a wildcat.
The 7 SS isn't going to get you anything extra in a long action.
How fast are you wanting to push the 195 or 180's?
And are you wanting good barrel life or just a super fast hammer?
I shoot 180 ELDMs @ 3000 fps in a 7-300wsm from my Rum action.
A straight 7WSM would be about 3050 if you throated it for the 180's.
If you want to shoot 195's, and don't shoot much, I would get a 28 Nos, ADG brass is coming soon.
Maybe you are right about messing with wildcats. I want something over 3000 fps with a decent barrel life. I dont have to shoot 195's, I could live with the 180's.

Maybe you are right about messing with wildcats. I want something over 3000 fps with a decent barrel life. I dont have to shoot 195's, I could live with the 180's.
You can do that with a 26-28" 7mm rem mag, currently shooting 180's @3060 in a 26" and Reloder 26, but that took some load development, and not every rifle I have developed loads for would shoot them that fast, and since your just going to be learning, I would honestly go with the 28 nosler. There is a lot of data for it, and it is a very, very good long range elk cartridge.

One thing on the 28 Nosler, I would personally have your smith that puts it together throat it properly for the bullets you intend to use, Nosler SAAMI chamber specs have a very short throat, and this takes away quite a bit, because you have to seat the bullet so deep into the cartridge, taking away powder space. I have heard many people say they can't get the 195's over 3000 fps with a SAAMI chamber....heck, you can get the 195's going in that range with a 7mm rem mag!! kind of eliminates the point of the Nosler....

So if you go with the 28 nosler, get a 1:8 twist for the heavies, and have your smith throat it for the 180's or 195's, whichever you choose to use.

To throw one more thing in there.....It may be worth it to consider the 30 nosler for exclusively long range elk. Throated properly, you will send the 215 well over 3000 fps, and you have a HUGE range of bullet options, from a 110 to a 245 soon. For elk, a 215 or 230 Berger out of a properly throated 30 Nosler would have some serious elk whopping power way, way out there.

Just this guys opinions.

I would look at going 280 AI before 28 Nosler! You really need to look at barrel life in the 28! Mark at Bartlein Barrels told me if you want to shoot a 28 a lot you better order barrels by the 6 pack! He said there is "noticeable erosion" in as few as 200 rounds
accompanied by pressure spikes caused by the rough throat. It sounds like a money pit to me??

I would look at going 280 AI before 28 Nosler! You really need to look at barrel life in the 28! Mark at Bartlein Barrels told me if you want to shoot a 28 a lot you better order barrels by the 6 pack! He said there is "noticeable erosion" in as few as 200 rounds
accompanied by pressure spikes caused by the rough throat. It sounds like a money pit to me??
A 280 AI would require a different bolt, as it is currently a 7mm rum. Another consideration is it may not feed properly with the feed rails being opened up for a rum sized case. I don't know this for sure, but certainly something I would think about prior to purchasing a bolt. A 7mm rem mag would be better suited if he wanted less of a barrel burner.

Everyone I have talked to has got around 800ish rounds prior to groups opening up in a 28 Nosler. The 30 Noslers seem to be more around 1200-1500, sometimes more. Though, those people have been careful to not shoot more than two or three rounds without allowing barrel cooling, and take care in powder choice and keeping their loads reasonable. Of course, if you make a habit of shooting off 5 or more rounds in rapid succession without allowing barrel cooling, you will likely not have a good barrel for long. I would be willing to bet you could torch a 28 nosler barrel in under 30 rounds if you fired them all without allowing any cooling. Special care in loading and shooting practice makes a big difference with these large overbore cartridges.

Another thing to consider is how much a person shoots. A lot of talk goes into barrel life, but if a person puts in say 100 rounds of practice a year, and under 10 rounds for hunting, then a 28 nosler would likely last them well over 6-8 years prior to needing a new tube. Putting $500-$650 into a precision firearm every 6-8 years is not much to invest, and many people shoot less than that through their hunting rifles each year.

Now, myself, I put 500-800 rounds a year on steel, but that is with a .260 AI. If you are the type of person that shoots that much or more, as many do, then I still would not deter someone from getting a large overbore rifle for long range hunting, simply get a short action standard bolt face 6.5, 6mm, .224 or something along those lines of some flavor that is not overbore and will last 2000 rounds or more for your training/practice rifle, and go ahead and have your other rig for hunting, and limited practice through the year. You can put together a 6.5 creed with a good optic for under $1000 these days, a Savage 12 fv can be had for under $300, and that leaves a lot of room for a training optic, components, etc., and will last a long long time.

Again, just my opinions.

This rifle will be a dedicated hunting rig with no more than 50 rounds shot a year. My 7mm RUM still has decent accuracy, but not as good as when I first got it. Bought it brand new in 2001. When new, I was able to get .50-.75in groups at 100. Now its at 1-1.25 at 100 yds. Im still able to hit 12in steel plates to 800yds. I want my rifle setup better for long range. Mainly a better barrel with a brake. The one I have currently is too thin and doesn't have a brake. It is the rifle in my avatar. I know that if I get a 28, it will last me a good while, if my current rifle has lasted this long and is still going.

This rifle will be a dedicated hunting rig with no more than 50 rounds shot a year. My 7mm RUM still has decent accuracy, but not as good as when I first got it. Bought it brand new in 2001. When new, I was able to get .50-.75in groups at 100. Now its at 1-1.25 at 100 yds. Im still able to hit 12in steel plates to 800yds. I want my rifle setup better for long range. Mainly a better barrel with a brake. The one I have currently is too thin and doesn't have a brake. It is the rifle in my avatar. I know that if I get a 28, it will last me a good while, if my current rifle has lasted this long and is still going.

If that is the deal, just re-barrel it to a 7 RUM with the barrel and Brake specs you want. You already have cases, dies etc, why go to the expense of changing all that out when the RUM is doing the job just fine. Can't really move a heavy .284 projectile any faster than you can with the RUM.

If that is the deal, just re-barrel it to a 7 RUM with the barrel and Brake specs you want. You already have cases, dies etc, why go to the expense of changing all that out when the RUM is doing the job just fine. Can't really move a heavy .284 projectile any faster than you can with the RUM.
I dont have any reloading stuff yet, so its not a big deal. But I do see what you mean. Im just exploring my options right now. I tend to make things more complicated than they should be. My main concern is lack of factory ammo options IF I dont reload.

I dont have any reloading stuff yet, so its not a big deal. But I do see what you mean. Im just exploring my options right now. I tend to make things more complicated than they should be. My main concern is lack of factory ammo options IF I dont reload.

Outside of the 7 RM mag and the 300 RUM or Win mag, none of the choices you are looking at have much in the way of factory ammo choices. If you don't reload, there is probably someone at your range that can help, or you can order custom ammo if you decide to go with an odd ball or semi Wildcat. Norma, HSM, Remington, and Hendershots Custom all load for the 7 RUM. Hendershots will load to spec and bullet. If you Google custom Ammo about 5 dozen options show up for custom reloaders.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts