Reasonable cost Barrel Ideas For 6.5x06 Build???

I've got a Ruger M77 30'06 that I want to spin the barrel off of and put a 6.5 caliber barrel on. I don't know much about long range shooting (500-1,000yds) wanting to start getting into it for the first time. Any good ideas on barrels to look into? I've looked a little into Douglas Barrels. They will thread, chamber, and fit barrel to action which would be nice to get that all done in one place. Any experience out there with Douglas?

Quite a few good barrels out there. I would look at in stock barrels with different makers. Most of them have a section in their web site for this. If they do not have a smith in house I am sure they have one they recommend. I would look for a 1-8" twist to take advantage of most bullets out there. Last few barrels we got were in stock. Just ordered a barrel for a 375 project from Rock Creek with a wait time of 12 -14 weeks. Less common barrel.

Just did a quick look and see that Lilja has two 8" twist .264 barrels in stock. Dennis Olsen is just down the rd from Lilja and is very good smith. I know he works with Lilja. Should be seamless.

Steve

Just noticed you are in North Idaho? They are in Thompson Falls. Probably a short drive for you.

Steve

North Idaho Forester,

I don't know if you can get a barrel from Midway the way I did. I had a Savage and wanted a .257 Weatherby. So I bought a 24" .25-06 from Midway had it chambered and fluted and installed on the Savage. Testing for cold bore shooting I took one shot every morning for six days. The six shot group was exactly one MOA! The barrel cos $135.

Douglas use to make all of ruger's barrels. When they got a hummer the guys that worked there would purchase them. My Mom's neighbor has 3of these a 220 swift a 6mm and a 30.06. All three will shoot 1/4moa today. After 20 yrs of hunting. Most barrel makers will do what your looking for. Benchmark usually will do a group buy for $600 (in past years anyway) barrel fit square the action and lugs chamber. Look here and inquire with the makers to see who will do what and how long.
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f76/barrel-action-trigger-manufacturers-related-info-28655/
There are places like Bruno's that can supply and install and places like Grizzly.com and sister Bullets.com that carry Bartlein (my choice) There are others that have some stock items.
If you want need a special twist or gain twist/contour ordering takes time. Mine has been 6 months and is now in shipment.

I've got a Ruger M77 30'06 that I want to spin the barrel off of and put a 6.5 caliber barrel on. I don't know much about long range shooting (500-1,000yds) wanting to start getting into it for the first time. Any good ideas on barrels to look into? I've looked a little into Douglas Barrels. They will thread, chamber, and fit barrel to action which would be nice to get that all done in one place. Any experience out there with Douglas?

Pac-nor will fit and chamber Pac-nor barrel ($275-$325) to your action (includes lapping and truing of action) for $300

(Price List - Caliber and Twist Rate Chart - PAC-NOR Barreling, Inc. - Precision Rifle Barrels - Pac-Nor.com)

Alright a fellow forester! I'm out of Sandpoint how about you?

As to barrels I would recommend McGowen out of Kalispell, MT. I've used their prefit "Remage" barrels a couple of times with great results.
They make the prefits for the Ruger 77 as well, the barrel is $325 for stainless and they sell a barrel nut like the Savages use for about $60. All you have to do is get your barrel off and screw the new one on, and after using a set of headspace gauges set the barrel nut. Very cheap and accurate alternative to having a smith do all of the work.
Or you can send them your rifle for a traditional barrel and installation.

The forestry world is small, send me a PM we probably know each other.

-Aaron

Douglas use to make all of ruger's barrels. When they got a hummer the guys that worked there would purchase them. My Mom's neighbor has 3of these a 220 swift a 6mm and a 30.06. All three will shoot 1/4moa today. After 20 yrs of hunting. Most barrel makers will do what your looking for. Benchmark usually will do a group buy for $600 (in past years anyway) barrel fit square the action and lugs chamber. Look here and inquire with the makers to see who will do what and how long.
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f76/barrel-action-trigger-manufacturers-related-info-28655/
There are places like Bruno's that can supply and install and places like Grizzly.com and sister Bullets.com that carry Bartlein (my choice) There are others that have some stock items.
If you want need a special twist or gain twist/contour ordering takes time. Mine has been 6 months and is now in shipment.

Thanks for the info. On Douglas's site they talk about fittings, rifling, sizing, and I'm assuming chambering for $500 (give or take if you want different things added or not done, seems like a good deal). If they used to make Ruger's barrels I would assume they would be very comfortable with a Ruger Action. Appreciate the leads!!

I've had one Lilja barrel, that fast twist .224, but Mr Dan made it int he same factory contour for my Kimber 84M, It was perfection! Years ago, I sent a Mod 700 to Mr Olsen and he converted it to magnum and barreled it to 416 Taylor. He did exceptional work! I just had to wait on my Lilja until he did a run of .224 barrels, which was certainly understandable. I would use those guys because (1) top quality product and service, very reputable (2) within driving distance, IF something needs tweaking, they are right there. It pays off to develop a relationship with those folks too. Good luck to you, I think you will really enjoy that 6.5/06!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.