Real "Budget Hunting Rifle" Build

TORCHRIDER

I wanted to share my most recent budget hunting rifle build experience as it has been an amazing experience.

I started with an old Savage 110 Flat back Long Action I picked up on another forum for $200. It has a three screw trigger that I was able to tune myself until it was a nice crisp 2.5lbs.

I then purchased a new Savage stainless .270 Win barrel in heavy sporter contour from Numrich for $60. Its not marked Savage, but I understand they don't stamp them until they are going onto a rifle?

Then I put out a feeler on another forum for a cheap Savage LA stock and lo and behold a forum member shipped me an old Savage synthetic stock for free. It was probably not worth much more than that. I installed some sling swivels I had laying around and added a Slogan Outdoors Ultraflex rifle sling that a friend bought me for Christmas one year. Then I added a Limbsaver recoil pad for $25.

Next I installed a used Mueller TAC II 3-10x that I bought off Craigs list for $125. I am amazed at how clear and repeatable this low priced scope is. I mounted it using some old Burris signature rings and a EGW scope mount I had laying around.

Now I realize that I had some parts laying around that I would normally have had to buy, but none the less I have a total of $410 sunk into this rifle, including sling and scope. It looks a little like a bastard child, but the best is yet to come.

Rather than work up loads like I normally do and should do for safety reasons, I decided to go right to that famous Jack O'Conner load of 60 grains of H4831 under a 130 gr. bullet. I chose the Hornady Interlock. I loaded up 50 rounds to easily fit the magazine. They measured .180 off the lands so I didn't expect too much.

I took the whole shooting match to the Austin Rifle Club, setup the chronograph, sighted it in and began to break the barrel in. Shoot 1 and clean, shoot 1 and clean, etc.

Well, the first group of three I fired went into less than 1" at 100 yards, even while cleaning the barrel after every shot. By the time I got to the tenth round, I decided not to break the barrel in with the 1 and clean method any further. I cleaned it really well and sat down to shoot some groups. After shooting a fouler, the next three groups of three all went into a 1/2" at 100 yards.

I couldn't believe it. I was flabbergasted. How could this hodgepodge of parts thrown together shoot as well as some rifles I have costing 5 times as much? Upon checking my Oehler I was very please to see these were running at 3140 FPS on average with no signs of pressure.

And this was no anomaly. I have since put over 100 rounds through her with the same results. The Hornady Interlock on top of 60 grains of H4831 will be my go to round for Texas whitetail this year. No need to experiment further with loads. I plan to take her first deer this November.

The sad part is I cant bring myself to refinish or paint her. She will just continue to be an ugly bastard rifle assembled from odds and ends that just happens to shoot lights out. Just goes to show you what can be done with very little money and some TLC.

I know this means nothing without pics, so will put some up at my first opportunity.

Thanks for letting me share. :D

I'm glad it worked for you. I choose to call these "poor boy customs". I've done essentially the same thing five times all on Savage actions. Only one cost more than $500. the five are:
220 Swift
250/3000
250 Ackley
257 Roberts
The Swift and the 243 wear E.R. Shaw barrels. The Roberts and the 3000 wear
Savage take-offs. The Ackley wears a Shilen #3.
All except the 3000 shoot MOA out to 300yds(a couple much better).

I'm glad it worked for you. I choose to call these "poor boy customs". I've done essentially the same thing five times all on Savage actions. Only one cost more than $500. the five are:
220 Swift
250/3000
250 Ackley
257 Roberts
The Swift and the 243 wear E.R. Shaw barrels. The Roberts and the 3000 wear
Savage take-offs. The Ackley wears a Shilen #3.
All except the 3000 shoot MOA out to 300yds(a couple much better).

That is awesome. I like the term "Poor Boy Customs". I really like that 250 Ackley round. Maybe that will be my next project. lightbulb

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.