re barreling my RPA actioned 6.5-284

ray toy

Hi guys , This is my first post but have been taking a back seat and soaking in all the great info!!!
I live in UK and hunt varmints mainly with the odd deer hunting thrown in!!
Now out to about 500yds on varmints i have been using a 6ppc with good results , now when the shots get further and the wind is up i use my RPA actioned 6.5-284 with a border 26 inch - 1 in 8.5 twist barrel and a lazzeroni stock.
The load i have been using is fully prepped lapua brass ( no neck turned ) Federal 210 match primer / 50 grains of H4831SC with a 140 a-max 10 thou into lands which gives me a average of 2800fps...
Now i have just recently been playing with her at a 1000yds and am having a ball , i intend to shoot bunnies at this range but also would like to still use the rifle for hunting deer ....
My question is the rifle will be needing a re-barrel job and i was wondering whether to go from the 26inch barrel to 28 or 30 inches - And would going to 28 / 30 inches give me much more performance ??
Your help would be most appreciated........
All the very best from the UK ...........
RAY.........................................

Last edited:
Hi guys , This is my first post but have been taking a back seat and soaking in all the great info!!!
I live in UK and hunt varmints mainly with the odd deer hunting thrown in!!
Now out to about 500yds on varmints i have been using a 6ppc with good results , now when the shots get further and the wind is up i use my RPA actioned 6.5-284 with a border 26 inch - 1 in 8.5 twist barrel and a lazzeroni stock.
The load i have been using is fully prepped lapua brass ( no neck turned ) Federal 210 match primer / 50 grains of H4831SC with a 140 a-max 10 thou into lands which gives me a average of 2800fps...
Now i have just recently been playing with her at a 1000yds and am having a ball , i intend to shoot bunnies at this range but also would like to still use the rifle for hunting deer ....
My question is the rifle will be needing a re-barrel job and i was wondering whether to go from the 26inch barrel to 28 or 30 inches - And would going to 28 / 30 inches give me much more performance ??
Your help would be most appreciated........
All the very best from the UK ...........
RAY.........................................

On my competition rig I run 28 inches 2970 avg 142 SMK using 49.5 H4350. Might give it a try.

Sorry for late reply.......
A big thanks for your input.........
All the best
RAY.................

Welcome Ray, did not know you were a member here as well, since you have been watching for 2 years there is no need for me to tell you that you will get all the info you will need regarding long range varminting.

Ian, (Vermincinerator)

PS. your rifle descripton led me to your identity.

Hello Ray, how is everything going across the pond. I would recommed a 30", 1-8.5 twist pipe for the 6.5x284.

My 6.5x284 pushed the 140 A-Max at 3100fps using 51.5grns of H4350, Federal 210 Match primer and Lapua brass.
This was very accurate combo out of that rifle.

I had to sell that rifle about a year and a half ago, and I miss it. The rifle was built by D. Tooley and it was an awesome shooting rig. One of my best groups ever shot with the above mentioned rifle was a .083, three shots, at 100 yards. I used a 139grn Lapua Scenar when I shot that group.

I know your post was about barrel length, however, here are some other loads I used for the 6.5x284, I used Lapua brass and Federal 210 Match primers with the following loads;

A)
1. Bullet Sierra 142grn MK
2. Powder 52.5grns H4831 Short Cut
3. Velocity-2900fps
4. Very accurate

B)
1. Bullet-139gn Lapua Scenar
2. Powder-52.5grns Vhit N-165
3. Velocity-2950fps
4. This combo was very very accurate and the best load combo for my rifle. I would highly recommend this bullet, powder and a 30" pipe for your 6.5x284.

C)
1. Bullet-140grn A-Max
2. Powder-51.5grns H4350
3. Velocity 3100fps Very accurate

I hope this helps Ray.

Wildcat

Hi ian thanks for the welcome good to see you here too!!!
Hi wildcat things are pretty good here in england thanks - how are things at your end buddy???
A big thank you for sharing your data and experiences too!!!
The reason i prefer the 140 a-max is because how it performs on game / apparently the 140 berger s are supposed to be good too!!!
All the very best..............
RAY.................

Hi Ray

welcome to LRH in its new improved state.

As you know I run my 6.5x284 with a 26" Krieger tube. If you want to retain some "portability" for UK stalking scanario's, you may be better keeping the 26 inch tube instead of going longer. A couple of extra inches may give you 100fps extra, which isn't really worth bothering about especially as (in my experience) 2900 fps is about the optimum velocity for 140g bullets. SMK, Bergers, Scenars and A-Max all need trying to see what works best for you.

If you want faster, then you could try some Barnes Triple Shock 130g, they are very accurate, but not have not as high a BC. All depends on how far you are comfortable with your chosen quarry.

Ray:

I like the amax also, but I would be careful with close shots on deer (stags)..may not penetrate if you hit heavy bone.

Andy, have you tried the scenars on game??

Also bear in mind the new 130 accubond, BC is around.48.. not as good as the amax but better I think than the TSX. And may shoot better also.

I agree on the 26 " barrel.... one thing is shooting from a bench, and the other is carrying the rifle around.

Hi Alg

it has been a long time..

I haven't used Scenars on game, however, my own 284 just loves 142 SMK, so much so that I fear the barrel may be due for replacement very soon.

"Dear Mr Krieger"........

Getting Accubonds where I olive in the UK, is just about impossible, I've had some 7mm on order for over 6 months now, but i'm still waiting for the 7mm/300WSM anyway so its really irelevant. Sidetracking a little, I had the chance to handle one of Pete's Avengers at the Midland Game Fair on sunday, exceptional machining work and the bolt glides like melted butter - glad i'm waiting for one - I ditched the Hansen idea.

Last edited:
Thanks andy and alg for your replies!!!!
Nice to see you here andy , i only get chance to have a look every so often but a great site!!!
All the very best..............
RAY.....................................

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.