Re- barreling a 28 nosler ?

sika64

If you were going to re-barrel a 28 nosler what would you go to that isn't a barrel burner but good out to 1000 yards for elk ?

Honestly as much as im not a fan of the marketing and spin behind all the creedmoor and prc cartridges…the 7mm PRC seems like a very obvious choice for a long range capable 7mm that's easier on the barrel than the .28 Nosler.

Do as you will, no judgement, but my own personal discretion would see me running a big 30 or 33 caliber magnum if the whole purpose of the rig was emphatic performance on elk at that kind of range

Factory I'd look hard at 7mm PRC.
Hand loading... I don't have enough info to answer your Q so any answer I'd give would be based on BS and internet myths.

I know when I burn my 28 barrel up I'll be putting a 7mm PRC barrel on it. I'll do this mostly because I'm frustrated with the available magazine space I have for the 28 Nosler. I'd also consider something else like a 300 PRC, but I fear I could run into similar issues without having done any research on it. I could also consider a 30 Nosler. I still like the 28 Nosler I just need it in a rifle with a Wyatt's box (which I also want to build) or something that I can get longer than my current 3.615 AICS magazine, I think this would suit the PRC quite well.

Last edited:
I know when I burn my 28 barrel up I'll be putting a 7mm PRC barrel on it. I'll do this mostly because I'm frustrated with the available magazine space I have for the 28 Nosler. I'd also consider something else like a 300 PRC, but I fear I could run into similar issues without having done any research on it. I could also consider a 30 Nosler. I still like the 28 Nosler I just need it in a rifle with a Wyatt's box (which I also want to build) or something that I can get longer than my current 3.615 AICS magazine, I think this would suit the PRC quite well.
I have plenty of room

Elk to a 1000
Assuming you want to get away from the barrel burner and want to keep the same case head size, 300prc sounds like the easy button.

7prc will do it too, but I think I'd lean 30cal, if elk is the purpose.

I can tell you I just rebarreled from a 26" 300prc, to an 18" 7prc and the 7mm is much more pleasurable. But I only hunt deer and pigs. If I were in elk country, I'd have stayed 300.

I really like it a lot, but obviously can't shoot it much because of barrel life
My vote is another 28 then, just have a couple barrels chambered at the same time and don't worry about it when the time comes. 🤷‍♂️ When I built mine on a Savage action Proof was selling 28 Nosler pre-fits. Turns out they don't anymore; that was my plan, just buy another. Then I started really playing with it and the mag space has me leaning to buy a PRC barrel from them next.

I shoot mine more than I probably should but maybe it's because I want an excuse to buy that 7mm PRC barrel.