RCBS vs Redding runout

Brain

Has anyone seen a marked difference between using RCBS and Redding dies in neck runout?

I am considering switching to Redding bushing style dies due to sizing induced runout when using RCBS. Prior to sizing, my cases are showing less than or equal to .001 neck runout. After sizing, it is in the .003 - .004 range consistently. I have tried removing the clip from the ram in order to let the shellholder float but it returned no improvement. I have also tried sizing very little at a time while rotating the case until the neck is fully sized with no improvement.

Yes, I'm a perfectionist but I understand limitations of equipment. It is however frustrating to have almost no runout prior to sizing and a lot afterwards.

Have you removed the sizing button from your die? That is likely where the runout is coming from. I remove mine when my brass is good enough (consistent neck thickness) to allow it. When I can't, I always polish it to a perfect finish and use plenty of Imperial sizing wax inside the necks. Also a smooth steady (not fast and not slow) extraction over the button seems to work best.

If you can't remove the button, make sure it is perfectly centered (the entire decapping assembly) in the die.

AJ

AJ,

Yes, I have removed the button in all of my dies. Forgot to mention that earlier.

If resizing is giving you runout with the buttons removed and the shellholder floating, I'd definitely blame the die.

One other thing to try.

1) loosen the lockring on your sizing die
2) put some up pressure on the die, by placing something between the shellholder and the bottom of the die (I use a small 1/4" shim with a hole through it)
3) while pushing up, lock you lockring.

This takes some of the slop out of the threads between the die and press and has been known to straighten things up a little.

AJ

ps: I'd get the Redding dies anyway :D

Ok, tried the upward pressure on the die while tightening the lock ring. No change in runout.

I guess it's finally time to break down and get the Redding dies...and I just missed the end of the 50% sale Roll-Yur-Own was having on Redding :(

Thanks for your input AJ!

Try one other thing before you buy. With the expander ball removed and if you have a universal shell holder on the press remove the snap ring that holds the shell holder in place. Resize a case and check run out. By doing this the shell holder and case can float which will allow the case to seek it own center into the die body. If this works then it is an alignment problem and/or possibly trash. You can just leave the snap ring out or clean it well. Let us know how it does. Good luck! Ray

Ray,

Thanks for the reply, but I mentioned in my first post that I had already tried it without success.

Bullet runout - Forster Dies

Gentlemen,
I would challenge any and all to try Forster Products dies. I have quit measuring runout for my 1,000 yd ammo - except to sort for 800 and practice.

You will find them superior to Redding in many respects, competitive in price --and RCBS isn't even in the game. You won't need to consider "small base" dies either.

If you match their dies with their "Co-Ax" press, you won't look back. (The Co-Ax is an upgrade and improved version of the old Bonanza press).

most of the time when you have excess runout issues it is normally the expander ball or over sizing, if you use a redding (I prefer the competition) bushing sizing die with the correct size bushing it eliminates both problems unless you have a whopper oversize factory chamber. measure the neck diameter of an unfired round then measure it again after you fire it. if the difference is .008 or more you will never get a low runout no matter what die you use. then you consider a new barrel and a custom reamer that actually fits your ammo.
UB

It's really unusual to have a die without the expander making .003-.004 runnout. If you get good runnout with other calibers we can rule out the press and probably the shellholders (if good results with other calibers). That pretty much leaves us with a defective die in my opinion.

I'll give a big thumbs up for using a lee collet die in conjunction with the redding body die. There are times you may just use the collet die by itself and there are some great circumstances to use the body die. One thing I love about the body die is if I want to try some already loaded ammo in a gun with a tighter chamber I can actually resize it down for that gun. The collet die is wonderful because you can use it without lube which makes for quick reloading.....and many times you don't have to clean the brass.
You will get really great runnout with the combo.....I can guarantee that.

Just for kicks, a few years ago I did a comparison between my .22-250 Redding competition bushing die and the Lee collet neck sizing die. The bottom line was that the Lee die run out was approx 40% less than the Redding. From what I've heard, some benchrest shooters are using this die, although they will never admit it. "Me...use a Lee product?...Never!!"

I was hoping that my pricey Redding dies would have won but you can't argue with results.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.