Redding Dies-vs RCBS

700man

I have always used RCBS dies since I was a kid, but the other day it looked like my bullet was crooked. I asked about the crooked bullet,

I was told that Reeding dies are superior to RCBS. Does anybody know if this is a fair statement.

I would agree. Reddings quality is alot better than rcbs and there is a bunch of different options with the redding that you won't find with the rcbs.

I've always been partial to Redding dies myself. Are they better than RCBS, I think so but I don't know for sure. I do feel better about using them, and that is every bit as important to me.

Chris

I'm having a problem with Redding bushing resizing dies, getting the neck "just right". I'm finding Forster dies to be better than either Redding or RCBS.

"I was told that Reeding dies are superior to RCBS. Does anybody know if this is a fair statement."

IMHO, it is a fair statement.

I hold Redding and Forster in a tie for first place for BR/Comp dies. All others are tied for second place.

Externals can be homely or purty but externals don't load ammo. ALL die internals are made to SAAMI specs and that's a range, not a specific target. Ditto our chambers. How well a given set of dies match a given chamber is pure luck, it's not brand or cost dependant. Dies are actually sorta like women; pretty ones always cost us more and are nicer to look at but they don't function any better! :D

If both dies in a conventional set matches the chamber well they can load ammo as well as any more expensive set. If not, the superior designs of Redding/Forster dies insure that they ALWAYS do pretty well!

I buy new dies because of specific user features, not the brand as such. For my rifles that usually means Forster but sometimes Redding, some times Lee. For handguns it's usually Lyman's, or Redding's copies, or Lee. And, if the price is right on used dies, I'll buy anything because they all work.

Last edited:
The funny thing is most people do not know how to properly set up a sizing die. Use a Wilson with an arbor press for seating.

"The funny thing is most people do not know how to properly set up a sizing die."

Boss, it sure appears that you are right! It's immediately appearant when they say, in effect, "Screw the sizer die down until it touches the shell holder and then turn ..."

Nor how to best do seating either. But, oh boy, don't they have strong opinions on what dies are the absolute best! :D

"The funny thing is most people do not know how to properly set up a sizing die."

Boss, it sure appears that you are right! It's immediately appearant when they say, in effect, "Screw the sizer die down until it touches the shell holder and then turn ..."

Nor how to best do seating either. But, oh boy, don't they have strong opinions on what dies are the absolute best! :D

I try and be nice but it is hard sometimes.... On the other hand there was a time when I was in the dark about a lot of things..

You will be happy with the Redding dies.

If you want to do it right, get the competition seater. For sizing, there are a couple of routes you can take. You can get a neck sizer and body die. If you get the neck sizer, then get the floating expander button and put a rubber "O" ring above it. This will help keep the neck straight as it is being sized. You would need to call Redding and get the part number then order thorugh Midway or somewhere. If you order right from Reddiing, you'll pay a lot more. Another technique to help center and align your case with your throat is to leave about 1/4 - 1/3 of your neck unsized at the shoulder. This will leave a small doughnut which will align your case with your throat. A good practice, especially for factory chambers.

Another way to size is with a bushing die. This requires neck turning which isn't all that hard to do. The advantages of bushung dies are...

- Less working and stressing your necks.
- Being able to adjust your neck tension, and
- Consistant neck tension

Also, you can use the same die (with different bushings) to load different calibers of the same cartridge, i.e., 7mm RUM and 300 RUM or 30-06, 270 and 25-06, etc. or make a wildcat.

Bushing dies are what I prefer.

Good shooting,

-MR

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.