RCBS Progressive Press

bailey1474

<strong>SPONSOR</strong>
Anyone have any experience with one? I am looking to get a progressive to load some .223 ammo for an AR-15. I have a friend who has a Dillon and loves it. He claims around 500 rounds/hr. I can get the RCBS much cheaper than the Dillon. Is the Dillon worth the extra money?

Thanks,
B.J.

HELLO MR BAILY I HAD ONE FOR A SHORT TIME, IT WORKED QUITE WELL HOWEVER I DECIDED TO GET RID OF IT AS I DOUBTED IT'S ACCURACY FROM SHELL TO SHELL. I THINK IT WAS FAST ONCE I GOT USED TO IT BUT I LIKE MEASURING THE POWDER FOR EVERY ROUND. I ENDED UP SENDING IT BACK TO RCBS AND EXCHANGED IT FOR A 50 BMG PRESS WHICH I REALLY LIKE A LOT. RCBS I MIGHT ADD ARE REALLY SUPER FOLKS TO DEAL WITH. THEY STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCTS 100%! HOPE THIS HELPS
MR BILL

Hello. Bill,the Pro 2000 is an outstanding machine. I loaded for several years on both a Dillon 550 and 650, but for a number of reasons I consider the 2000 superior to the Dillons and have let them go down the road. The Dillons are excellent,(the 650 ia a very fast machine,to boot); they have an unmatched following, and have a huge weight advantage over the 2000 which is why I think that they remain the pre-eminent choice of competitive shooters,(on the road). They work! However, as always, the devil is in the details!!! Study press design and features thoroughly and your choice will become easier. This shooter,like the NRA technical staff, selected and uses the 2000.
A few of my personal "likes" are as follows:
Cast iron vice aluminum frame and (critical)toggle assembly ; ease of use and caliber conversions; powder dispensing,(design, accuracy and repeatability) ; case retention and priming,(both strip and tube).
I've loaded for fifty years and I consider the Pro 2000, Redding turret and Rockchucker,respectively and by category, to be the best machines ever made.
Enjoy your quest!
Best,
Bill C

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.