Which Brand of Progressive Press?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by critrgitr, Mar 24, 2009.

1. critrgitr

critrgitr Well-Known Member

I am looking at purchasing a progressive press, and was curious to see what everyones opinions are on the presses out there. I will primarly be loading 45 ACP, but would like to be able to easily use the same press for varmint rifle calibers like 204, 223, and 243. I have heard great things about the Dillon 550 and 650, but are they worth the extra money, or can I get by with the cheaper models like the Lee 1000 or similar?

Thanks!
    gun)

2. 7mmSendaro

7mmSendaro Well-Known Member

I have a Dillon 550B and love it. I load 9mm up through .223 with absolutely no issues. To be fair, I have not used the cheaper presses.

3. BigJakeJ1s

BigJakeJ1s Well-Known Member

4. critrgitr

critrgitr Well-Known Member

Thanks for the great info on that link. That definitely helps.

critrgitr
    gun)

5. jimbires

jimbires Well-Known Member

I have the Hornady LNL , with the brass feeder . it is about 3 years old . it has been trouble free . I would buy it again . I only use it for 45 acp . if you're loading pistol , do get the micro adjust powder insert . the Hornady powder through neck expander did not expand enough for me to load cast lead bullets , it should be ok for jacketed . so I use a regular expander die . Jim

6. Winchester 69

Winchester 69 Well-Known Member

You'll need to check with Hornady, but I believe they did some redesign on that particular expander (45 ACP). If so, they may replace it for you.

+1 Hornady AP. Better powder system. Quick changeover. Fixed die head. Auto-indexing. There's not much not to like.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  7. jimbires

jimbires Well-Known Member

thanks , I'll check on that . Jim