Raptor Stalker by APS

MT4XFore

The following rifle was built by Kirby Allen of Allen Precision Shooting. It is his own action and his barrel profile by Lilja.
Stock is A-3 Mcmillian
Jewell Trigger
Vortex PST 6 to 24 X 50 FFP MOA scope
This is his lighter weight stalker, weighs about 10 lbs w/ scope.

Attachments

• 100_0244.jpg
    100_0244.jpg
    302.6 KB · Views: 86
  • 100_0243.jpg
    100_0243.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 72
  • 100_0242.jpg
    100_0242.jpg
    265.6 KB · Views: 93
Nice looking rig but we need more details. Cartridge, barrel length and twist, range report? Don't leave us hanging!

Look's very nice. Thanks for posting your photos. Can you tell us what caliber / cartridge it's chambered for? How much would it weigh without the scope or bipod? And how long is your barrel?

Doesn't look like that scope is gonna budge any in those four scope rings!

WOW thats a beautiful rifle! If i had the money i would be getting myself a rifle similar to yours!. I would like to know more about it please? what caliber is it? How do you like the scope?

The barrel was kind of an "uh-oh" by Lilja. It was supposed to finish out at 26" but they sent a 30" barrel, so Kirby finished it at 28 1/4" which was as short as he could get it and still have it look ok. It is chambered in 338 AX, which is Kirby's version of the 338 Lapua Improved. Initial testing right out of the shop showed groups of around 3" at 750 yds, and about 4" at 1000 yds. During barrel break-in, it was shooting 3/4" or just a bit less at 200 yds. I dont know what it weighs "nekid". It's not a liteweight, but it is certainly lighter than his "full-sized" version. Thanks for the kind remarks, I'm glad you all like it. My break in load was 97 grains of Retumbo beneath the new Hornady 285 gr Match bullet. It was a fairly mild load with a velocity of 2955 fps. The PST seems to be terrific so far. Very good glass and very precise adjustments. The twist is 1-10.

Jim

Last edited:
It is chambered in 338 AX, which is Kirby's version of the 338 Lapua Improved. Initial testing right out of the shop showed groups of around 3" at 750 yds, and about 4" at 1000 yds. During barrel break-in, it was shooting 3/4" or just a bit less at 200 yds. I don't know what it weighs "nekid". It's not a lightweight, but it is certainly lighter than his "full-sized" version.
Jim

Thanks for providing the details. That's close to an ideal rifle for my large, large game hunting. A rifle light enough to pack, but stout enough to still provide good long yardage accuracy. You've met both of these requirements. That would make a very nice brown bear rifle. Enjoy!

Thanks for all the kind comments. The four scope rings insure that the scope wont move with either the gun's recoil or the "reverse" recoil caused by the brake. Some of APS's big boomers really need 4, I doubt if this one does, but better safe than sorry I guess. It was Kirby's idea to put them on. I really like the PST so far. Time will tell as I use it more if I find anything that I dont like or that doesn't hold up. But, so far so good.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.