Raptor Stalker by APS

Discussion in 'Gun Photos' started by MT4XFore, Jul 16, 2011.

1. MT4XFore

MT4XFore Well-Known Member

The following rifle was built by Kirby Allen of Allen Precision Shooting. It is his own action and his barrel profile by Lilja.
    Stock is A-3 Mcmillian
    Jewell Trigger
    Vortex PST 6 to 24 X 50 FFP MOA scope
    This is his lighter weight stalker, weighs about 10 lbs w/ scope.

Attached Files:

2. sambo3006

sambo3006 Well-Known Member

Nice looking rig but we need more details. Cartridge, barrel length and twist, range report? Don't leave us hanging!

3. phorwath

phorwath Well-Known Member

Look's very nice. Thanks for posting your photos. Can you tell us what caliber / cartridge it's chambered for? How much would it weigh without the scope or bipod? And how long is your barrel?

Doesn't look like that scope is gonna budge any in those four scope rings!

4. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

Another beaut of a beast from Kirby! Thanks for sharing.

5. matt_3479

matt_3479 Well-Known Member

WOW thats a beautiful rifle! If i had the money i would be getting myself a rifle similar to yours!. I would like to know more about it please? what caliber is it? How do you like the scope?

6. MT4XFore

The barrel was kind of an "uh-oh" by Lilja. It was supposed to finish out at 26" but they sent a 30" barrel, so Kirby finished it at 28 1/4" which was as short as he could get it and still have it look ok. It is chambered in 338 AX, which is Kirby's version of the 338 Lapua Improved. Initial testing right out of the shop showed groups of around 3" at 750 yds, and about 4" at 1000 yds. During barrel break-in, it was shooting 3/4" or just a bit less at 200 yds. I dont know what it weighs "nekid". It's not a liteweight, but it is certainly lighter than his "full-sized" version. Thanks for the kind remarks, I'm glad you all like it. My break in load was 97 grains of Retumbo beneath the new Hornady 285 gr Match bullet. It was a fairly mild load with a velocity of 2955 fps. The PST seems to be terrific so far. Very good glass and very precise adjustments. The twist is 1-10.

Jim

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  7. phorwath

phorwath Well-Known Member

Thanks for providing the details. That's close to an ideal rifle for my large, large game hunting. A rifle light enough to pack, but stout enough to still provide good long yardage accuracy. You've met both of these requirements. That would make a very nice brown bear rifle. Enjoy!

8. MT4XFore

Thanks Phorwath,don't give me any ideas. It could cause a divorce!

Jim

9. Capt Academy

Capt Academy Well-Known Member

Wow! That's one nice rifle!

10. sp6x6

sp6x6 Well-Known Member

Beeeaaauuuttifuuul:D

11. C.O. Shooter

C.O. Shooter Well-Known Member

Nice Rifle, curious why you have 4 scope mounts?

12. Camshaft

Camshaft Well-Known Member

How do you like the PST?

13. MT4XFore

Thanks for all the kind comments. The four scope rings insure that the scope wont move with either the gun's recoil or the "reverse" recoil caused by the brake. Some of APS's big boomers really need 4, I doubt if this one does, but better safe than sorry I guess. It was Kirby's idea to put them on. I really like the PST so far. Time will tell as I use it more if I find anything that I dont like or that doesn't hold up. But, so far so good.

14. ROBSTER

ROBSTER Well-Known Member

Awsoooommme looking rifle.love the color.
    robster