Range Report: ROCK ULTRA FS HC - 10MM 52009

GelatinousPig

Similar to my report on the 51567 double stack .45, the plastic box the pistol came in is adequate. Inside I found the 10mm wrapped in a plastic bag soaking in gobs of thick oil. I assume it's oil, anyway, which again I actually like because I know it has been well preserved during shipping. I had purchased a 50 round box of Sig 180gr FMJ's on the way to the range, and loaded up 5 rounds into a magazine (I purchased 2 extra when I bought it which I recommend) after first disassembling and cleaning everything. The pistol shot very well in "raw" mode out of the box at 25 feet. I say "raw" because it's never been fired past the couple of factory shots whose brass is shipped with it. The .45 seemed more accurate, but I am not going to split hairs until after 500 have warmed up the chambers of each. Out of 50 rounds in a mixture of 5 at a time up to 16 in the mag, the only issue I had was a FTF on round 2 due entirely to me limp wristing the shot as I wanted to see how minimal I could grip it, which was obviously not tight enough.

Just like the .45, only without a rail, the 10mm has a good finish and is built for a hard life of operation. The one, and only one, thing I am unsure of and may decide is bad is the need to use a paper clip to disassemble it. Out in the field if used as a backup in blackbear country (or on hogs), it would be difficult, perhaps impossible, to fully clean if you forget to pack one, or lose it. I'm currently trying to cook up ideas on how to carry one without having to think about it. The best I have cooked up so far is keeping one on my truck key ring. On the other hand, the bull barrel locking up directly with the slide is pretty nice. Net-net, that offsets the paper clip thing (until I lose one and need it).

The grip is larger than a typical 1911 since it's a double stack, just like the .45. But again, it fits me better than my previous single stack, and any of the other single stacks I have held. Based on my experience thus far, I recommend taking a look and testing one if possible. If you are on the fence about getting one, do it, you will not regret it, especially for the price.

Thanks,
Pig

Update: I discovered a YouTube video that shows disassembly without the need for a paper clip. Much thanks to sootch00 for sharing that, and I feel stupid for not thinking of such an easy method now.

[ame]https://youtu.be/V4lKlMO0uHw[/ame]

The video shows a compact .45, but the guide rod is pretty much identical to the 10's, and works the same.

Coming soon: range report for Armscor TCM TAC ULTRA FS HC COMBO - 22TCM/9MM 51947. I have decided that the value-to-price ratio is high enough for Armscor's 1911's that I order that one too.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.