Range Finding with a Reticle

I agree. You get out to four digit ranges, say 1100 yards, being off by 15 yards (about 1 %) = a shot 12" high or low....that is with a 30/210 vld at 2950at ele 1300/30 degrees. 12" is HUGE on an antalope and deer.

You need to know EXACTLY how far the target is!!! a GOOD rangefinder is the only way to go!!

Already said, I porbably wouldn't recommend this for 900 yd shot, but for an *elk size target* at 600 yds it would probably work.

Relax guys, take a chill pill.

Already said, I porbably wouldn't recommend this for 900 yd shot, but for an *elk size target* at 600 yds it would probably work.

Relax guys, take a chill pill.

Sorry...i just saw your chart (or what I could make of it:D), saw 950, and assumed it was a yardage.

I guess I shouldn't assume!!

Again, sorry.

Sorry...i just saw your chart (or what I could make of it:D), saw 950, and assumed it was a yardage.

I guess I shouldn't assume!!

Again, sorry.

No worries, it was 950 yds, I was having fun with my calculator :)

I was thinking about testing this technique against a laser range finder. I could take a range finder and my rifle to Yellowstone and find some elk to range. Ya think the rangers might get a little bent out of shape?:rolleyes::D

Actually MR, that really would be a great way to practice it (with just the scope--less the rifle). Just take a notepad to write it all down and u could calculate percentages later. That is basically what i do when coyote hunting during the winter. I always see antelope so i range them and take a reticle-reading, and usually calculate later when i get home.

Don't know if i should post this or not, but i went out today coyote hunting, and had the opportunity to reticle-range an antelope buck that lasered right at 600 yds. avg. of about 2 readings. He occupied back to brisket what i guessed to be .9 of the distance between stadia line 2 and 3 of the Burris 4-12x Mini's Ball. Plex reticle. Here's the calc figuring 15" back to brisket, and subtracting the line thickness (.19 inch per hundred yds.= 2.78 IPHY between stadia lines).

15 x 100 / 2.78 / 0.9 = 599 yds.

...but if was only +/- 1/20th off in the interpolation (.85-.95) here's the range of error--

1500 / 2.78 / .95 = 568
1500 / 2.78 / .85 = 635

67 yds. error (also assuming the buck was actually 15", and not 14.5 or 15.5).

...Fun to play with tho. (when it works).

Here's more from today on an avg. antelope buck (15" back to brisket?)--

Leupold 4.5-14x VX-III Plex reticle (2.7 IPHY X-PPT)--

1) Lasered 507, Reticled at 1.1 subtension units (SU)--
15 x 100 / 2.7 / 1.1 = 505

2) Lasered 700, Reticled @ .8 SU--
15 x 100 / 2.7 / .8 = 694

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.