Range finders

YELLOW LAB

whats your thoughts of a good all around range finder for wester hunts
tks looking at nikon and bushnell any other good options

Not sure how much you want to spend but Leica has dropped the price on the 1600's to $650 in preparation for their new baby the 1600-B. That is a good price for what you get. Lot's of features.

The Bushnell 15-1600 is the only Bushnell product I would look at for any kind of LR work. It is an underrated performer IMO. I didn't get to play with it very long but it performed well and has gotten good reviews.

I don't think Nikon really offers any LR equipped RF's.

HTH,

Scot E.

Last edited:
I have a Newcon LRM1500 rangefinder that didn't break the bank to buy. I haven't used it much but from what ranging I have done it seems to compare to my buddy's Leica (not the 1600). The only thing I like better about the Leica over the Newcon is the smaller size of the Leica, but optically I think the Newcon is slightly clearer. The Newcon is made in Canada, which I think is better stuff than China makes.

There is no doubt the Leica 1600 is the best bang for the buck under $1000, and it now is well under $1000. With their small beam and, small size and great glass they are hard to beat. Not to mention the display of ambient temp. and Baro pressure.

For me that is the only unit I would own until you get up to the $2000 units and then I would be looking at the Vectronix PLRF05, and the G7 BR2.

Jeff

There is no doubt the Leica 1600 is the best bang for the buck under $1000, and it now is well under $1000. With their small beam and, small size and great glass they are hard to beat. Not to mention the display of ambient temp. and Baro pressure.

For me that is the only unit I would own until you get up to the $2000 units and then I would be looking at the Vectronix PLRF05, and the G7 BR2.

Jeff

Broz,

I was having a conversation with a salesman about the 1600 specs and was hoping you could verify something.

Is it true that it offers angled compensation, temp, and baro but it doesn't enter that data into the ballistic curve computation if you are using that part of the rangefinder? The salesman was telling me that was one of the big differences between the 1600 and the 1600-B. The B offers the same features basically but adjusts the ballistic curve according to those additional sets of data.

I thought the 1600 already was compensating for those and that the only real change to the 16500-B was the output options.

Thanks,

Scot E.

Sorry Scott, I can't varify any of that. We have used the temp and Baro along with distance and entered it all into shooter for our solutions.

Jeff

ya, I got to thinking about that after I posted and figured that is what you did. I forgot that the Leica doesn't allow individual data input but instead uses standardized ballistic curves.

If anyone else can answer I would appreciate.

Thanks,

Scot E.

My buddy has 1600, it has a bal.calc for a short distance,cant recall, but I DONT think it was past 600,and very limited curve,not taylored.Seems like I read some where the new model get you to 1000. I am trying to practice well behyond that this season,so.....I have old sq. 1200 Lieca.My bench bud just got a vectronix,so I'll go play with him and his 338 LAI.

From my understanding after talking with some Leica reps is that the 1600-B has 3 or 5 ballistics curves built into it (Probably something like a curve for a 68 grain 223, 168 grain 308 Win / common ammo curves). The user then selects what curve most closely matches the ballistics curve of your ammo and that is what is used and it is these curves that are corrected. There are three modes of operation with the actual straight line target yardage displayed first and then followed by the selected mode display. Mode 1 displays required elevation correction in inches needed for the yardage ranged and corrected for the measured temperature, barometric pressure, and angle. Mode 2 displays the required number of clicks required to hit the ranged target. User enters your scope click measurement (1/4 MOA, .1 mil, ect.). Mode 3 displays the corrected yardage to the target for a BDC dial. All of the corrections are based on the pre-loaded ballistics curves and I never did get a definitive answer on if this only works to 600 yards or has been updated to 1000 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.