Range Finder Suggestions

The swaro is the best. It will range out to around 1800 yards in pretty much any condition. After that its a toss up between the leica 1200, nikon 1200, and bushnell elite 1500. If you only want to buy 1 rangefinder the 1st time, just get a swaro.

I pretty much agree with 25-06 on the ranging capabilities from my experience and what I've heard . However , I have one word of Warning . These Long Range LRFs are expensive and my experience with their Quality Control is not what I would term "good". When you first get it , go out and Test Repeatibility from a rock solid rest . I used sand bags on the roof of my car . "Shoot" the same objects 10 times in a row . These readings should all be within a few yards of each other ...you might get a very small delta because of slight changes due to finger pressure on the ranging switch even on sand bags . Some of these units require much more finger pressure than I think they should . When you free -hand these , you are kidding yourself if you think you are sighting exactly on one single Target out there . I had to send back 2 Swaros before I got a good one . Try to borrow a friends LRF and compare one versus the other . Also , try them at different Ranges and types of Objects ....Road signs are easy because they are pretty reflective . When you get a good one , treat it gently and don't let it bake in a hot vehicle with closed windows .....car trunks are much cooler than the drivers compartment if both sit in the sun all day .

tulku- when you say "you might get a very small delta because of slight changes due to finger pressure on the ranging switch", what do you mean by this? Do you mean that the actual act of pressing the button will throw off your aim slightly, or is there something with the switches where the laser power is dependent on the pressure used?

Beowolf , your first guess is correct . These darn LRFs could use lighter switches , but maybe my arthritic fingers don't help . One can easily change the beam angle by pressing the switches differently from reading to reading . I did buy a Pro type Tripod to anchor things , but it will surely give me a Hernia , so I will probably free-hand my LRF for Pdogs . I don't like the "reticles" much either ..... mostly big thick peep circles or ovals ! I would prefer a thin crosshair or thin crosshair in a big circle . I like the Leica Viewfinder Visuals better than the Swaro , but some guys like the Swaro .

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.