Range finder and environmental meter

If you have the "disposable income" available I certainly recommend the best LRF binoculars on the market, the LEICA HDB 2200 or newer HDB 3000.

These binoculars have sensors for everything except wind. The little Micro SD card removed, fits in an SD size card holder, goes into your computer. Then you go to the LEICA website and the ballistics application. From there you enter ALL the required rifle data such as muzzle velocity, bullet BC, weight, etc. and name the rifle for reference in case you load more than one rifle's data.

Read up on this amazing LRF binocular and start saving your dinero Amigo. Cut down on the beer, cigarettes, fancy cowboy boots and make your women pay for your dinners, movies, clothes, guns, etc.

Eric B.

If you have the "disposable income" available I certainly recommend the best LRF binoculars on the market, the LEICA HDB 2200 or newer HDB 3000.

These binoculars have sensors for everything except wind. The little Micro SD card removed, fits in an SD size card holder, goes into your computer. Then you go to the LEICA website and the ballistics application. From there you enter ALL the required rifle data such as muzzle velocity, bullet BC, weight, etc. and name the rifle for reference in case you load more than one rifle's data.

Read up on this amazing LRF binocular and start saving your dinero Amigo. Cut down on the beer, cigarettes, fancy cowboy boots and make your women pay for your dinners, movies, clothes, guns, etc.

Eric B.

But I don't drink beer, smoke cigarettes or have a pair of cowboy boots. I got the last line covered except the gun part! I'm actually looking at the vortex bino that just came out but pretty much still need the kestrel.

i have a 2400abs, and i would go with it over the Kestal anyday. For PRS shooting having a ton of gear is ok, so a rangefinder and a kestral isn't a big deal. For hunting and needing to make shots quickly and accurately while hunting the 2400abs is much better imo.

I have hunted with different setups and the less gear or items needed to get a shooting solution the better off you are. Honestly if Sig would put the abs software in the sig rangefinder binos, this would be the ultimate long range solution for me.

I rarely use the wind meter with sig Kilo. The one complaint i have with the sig kilo is if they made the wind meter display wind speed on the meter, would be much better then needing your phone sync'd to the rangefinder to see a wind speed.

But I don't drink beer, smoke cigarettes or have a pair of cowboy boots. I got the last line covered except the gun part! I'm actually looking at the vortex bino that just came out but pretty much still need the kestrel.
If you're referring to the Fury 5000, definitely look through them when you have a chance. To my eyes, they had a strange bluish tint that would've drove me crazy. I wanted to get a look at the new Sig 3000BDX, but nowhere local had them. I ended up with the closeout HD-B 2200. For my needs, HD-Bs are for hunting, and Kestrel is for range time. I created a 'custom' curve in the HD-Bs, and so far the solutions are right on with the Kestrel.

If you're referring to the Fury 5000, definitely look through them when you have a chance. To my eyes, they had a strange bluish tint that would've drove me crazy. I wanted to get a look at the new Sig 3000BDX, but nowhere local had them. I ended up with the closeout HD-B 2200. For my needs, HD-Bs are for hunting, and Kestrel is for range time. I created a 'custom' curve in the HD-Bs, and so far the solutions are right on with the Kestrel.

I will definitely look through them. I like nice glass so may not work. It really seems like I'm gonna need a kestrel no matter what so I will just get one for now then decide if I want to upgrade to the sig or a set of range finding binos later.

For high precision shooting up to, and well past 1000 yards I would choose the Kestral 5700. You will have greater accuracy and control of all the variables with little to no trade off in time to shot when used with an instant Bluetooth connection to the RF. Mine is used with a TerrapinX. Not cheap, but the combo is an amazingly capable combination that was well worth unloading a couple of dusty, unused scopes, and RF's to cover it.

Last edited:
A little off topic here but speaking to wind and meters. Here's one of the most sensitive, don't laugh.

Take a feather from the tail root of a wild turkey. It is a plate feather that is about 2.5 inches wide and light stem.

Best thread is at your tackle shop. Called magic thread it is like stretchable mono and thinner than thread. Wrap the feather shaft and hang it with a foot or more 3 or 4 ft in front and above your barrel so you can easily see while sighting.

This feather can be coupled with your meter to concur speed. What the feather can do in what the meter can't is show you " qaulity" of wind.

It will show you a boil before it comes, it will show you the three elements, head, middle, and tail of the wind. It will ride, shimmer, and flip. Learn this tool and you will get a better understanding in what your environmental issues are.

Some say sure but it's the wind middle range that's important. True it is but wind and heat over your optics bends or distorts. This tool allows you to touch in the same local environment.

Now laugh, but I learned this trick while competing in territorial and national line shooting. With open sights and Flint locks to beat. On sticks, we had to place five round balls in a one inch circle at 50 yds to win. With open sights and terrible BC's!

Give it a try and I'll think you may agree it will give you a edge. Have fun.
This is the best knowledge of all post I am 72 and shooting with all tech things is cool but pretty soon when out after game you will need a pack mule for tech stuff and batteries Then when hi-tech fails and you can not shoot without your toys Basic know how will make you better not gadgets We could learn a lot from Carlos Hancock, The Finn and three 16-year-old girls of WWII!

Just finished doing a long range precision course and hands down get the Kestrel 5700 with the link. It has all the custom Applied Ballistics curves for any bullet out there and initial programming is easy. The power of the kestrel starts with the muzzle validation and then the Drop scale factor which basically tracks your bullet going from supersonic to transonic And then from trans sonic to sub sonic. It's important since the bullet is unpredictable during the transition. Once that is in your Kestrel the accuracy is unbelievable. Dead nuts solid. If only it would read the wind along the entire distance that you are shooting. Lol

Have you looked at Gunwerks' new Revic PMR 428 scope? It has a built-in Kestrel type ballistics calculator with an internal heads-up display and level. What I like about it is that it makes instant adjustments as the day's weather changes. It constantly updates, temp, heading, pressure, barrel angle, etc. You can load 3 bullet profiles into the scope using your phone's Bluetooth capability, then turn your phone off. You have to manually input wind direction/velocity and then spin the range turret for a known range. Snipers Hide reviewed it and a couple other YouTube videos. The negative is that you can only use it on one rifle at a time and it's expensive. It has an RX-1 Christmas tree reticle in case your battery dies or you want to make a quick Kentucky windage shot. Seems pretty awesome to me.

There you go, all you should need now is a mil reticle, a mil-dot master, a dope card, and a turkey feather. That just saved you a pile of money.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.