Range finder and environmental meter

codym

I need suggestions. I've been using my straight leupold to 2800 and the Hornady ballistic app on my phone and it's worked fine for my shooting out to 1k. I've had to mess with the inputs at times to get everything to match but no big deal. I want to upgrade to a sig 2400 abs as it seems like you could just use this and have no need for a kestrel. Or I could keep the leupold and get the kestrel 5700 elite and go that route. Would like to start taking my targets out past 1000 on a regular basis. What is your system? What would you buy again, what would you do different? Thanks

What about wind speed? The SIG 2400 has no wind impeller to my knowledge.

Firing position wind is the most important factor on a bullet.

Eric B.
I think it has a little impeller you can hook into your phone, but it sounds like no one uses it.

I use this kilo 2400abs. Where 500 yds was considered " chip shot" ,800 and beyond now takes the title.

I cannot emphasize enough that great care and time be given to input correct information. Garbage in, garbage out.

It is true that a lot of smart phones cannot utilize the wind meter. My phone can't. This is explained as by the voltages.

If your serious about hunting long range, you owe it to yourself and the animal.

I forgot to say, you can buy a independent wind meter. I use my kestrel. Learn also the speeds by the angle of the mirage. This is were being accurate on wind calls come from.

I use this kilo 2400abs. Where 500 yds was considered " chip shot" ,800 and beyond now takes the title.

I cannot emphasize enough that great care and time be given to input correct information. Garbage in, garbage out.

It is true that a lot of smart phones cannot utilize the wind meter. My phone can't. This is explained as by the voltages.

If your serious about hunting long range, you owe it to yourself and the animal.

Trust me im getting 1000k first round hits on 10 inch square steel with the cheap hornady app and reading the wind and mirage with a friends meter. I true my data at distance and adjust my drag curve to match. I shoot everything over a labradar so I'm pretty sure about my velocities. I'm meticulous about my data. I'm just trying to figure out what the best upgrade will be, a kestrel 5700 elite with link and a basic range finder or sig abs 2400 with a basic wind meter. It all comes out pretty close in price.I have used all the above as well as the gunwerks g7 but not really impressed enough to go one way or another. I'm honestly more of a bow hunter and I want to get more into the competitive long range stuff either F-class or PRS. I'm interested to see what the guys are using on here with good success.

Your issue is that you will need to ascertain if the wind meter works on your phone. May wish to call Sig and give them your phone model. Maybe they can assure you. Wouldn't make the investment in your case until I found out. Good luck to ya

If you're cold boring 1 moa plates at 1k like it's cool, you will want to shoot PRS, and clear off some shelf space for the trophies that follow. That being said, the kestrel 5700 is the unit to buy for long range precision shooting. Also, the new sig 3000 bdx binos are the best bet for the money for a range finding bino. They will range out to 2000 as well as my vector IV does. I would go with the binos and the kestrel especially if you are going to shoot PRS. The binos come in handy when you are searching for targets, versus looking through a 7x hotel room peep hole.

Last edited:
The Sig Kilo 2400 ABS is easy to use and set up. You can use the wind meter or a Kestrel, but you still may have to manually enter wind if conditions beyond the shooter are showing different wind speeds. With the Sig, you can enter wind on the app or on the range finder. Both are easy inputs.

If you're cold boring 1 moa plates at 1k likes it cool, you will want to shoot PRS, and clear off some shelf space for the trophies that follow. That being said, the kestrel 5700 is the unit to buy for long range precision shooting. Also, the new sig 3000 bdx binos are the best bet for the money for a range finding bino. They will range out to 2000 as well as my vector IV does. I would go with the binos and the kestrel especially if you are going to shoot PRS. The binos come in handy when you are searching for targets, versus looking through a 7x hotel room peep hole.

I didn't meant to come off like I'm this amazing shooter, I'm definitely not. I just shoot a bunch to make sure my data matches up. I learned to call wind in the marine Corp but when it's gusty I defer to a friends Kestrel and of course reading the wind the weakest part of my game. I hear you on the Bino. I may just go with the kestrel 5700 elite for now and then get a set of range finding Bono's later. I just bought my swaro 12x50 el's so I'm still trying to replenish my optics fund.

I have had no luck with cheap wind meters.
Kestrel 5700 or comparable good wind meter, any range finder that will give u accurate ranges to your intended target, and an app corrected for your dope will get the job done.

A little off topic here but speaking to wind and meters. Here's one of the most sensitive, don't laugh.

Take a feather from the tail root of a wild turkey. It is a plate feather that is about 2.5 inches wide and light stem.

Best thread is at your tackle shop. Called magic thread it is like stretchable mono and thinner than thread. Wrap the feather shaft and hang it with a foot or more 3 or 4 ft in front and above your barrel so you can easily see while sighting.

This feather can be coupled with your meter to concur speed. What the feather can do in what the meter can't is show you " qaulity" of wind.

It will show you a boil before it comes, it will show you the three elements, head, middle, and tail of the wind. It will ride, shimmer, and flip. Learn this tool and you will get a better understanding in what your environmental issues are.

Some say sure but it's the wind middle range that's important. True it is but wind and heat over your optics bends or distorts. This tool allows you to touch in the same local environment.

Now laugh, but I learned this trick while competing in territorial and national line shooting. With open sights and Flint locks to beat. On sticks, we had to place five round balls in a one inch circle at 50 yds to win. With open sights and terrible BC's!

Give it a try and I'll think you may agree it will give you a edge. Have fun.

Between your choices, I would keep your LRF and go for the 5700 Elite. To me, the 5700 Elite provides a better interface to manage data. I would rather not have my eye constantly in an LRF to view solutions. I think the atmospherics would be moderately more accurate from the Kestrel, and I'm not a fan of the phone wind meter that is needed for the Sig.

I have a 5700 Elite and do not have a 2400ABS, so there's my bias; but I am very happy with the Kestrel and have no plans to get the Sig.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.