Ramblings and Such From Hunting Coyote

As a grad school professor, I can tell you that you're hopelessly optimistic!
No sir,I am exposed to a larger pool. Computer says Wyoming has a population of 581,381 and I would expect by grace they havent been exposed to the negatives that come with a higher population. Texas has a population of 30.03 million and its just different here. You are blessed to be where you are. Have a great day brother.

When you drive on highways I-80 and I-125 in Wyoming the license plates are mostly Colorado, Texas, then Wyoming with Oklahoma and Alberta Canada coming next the majority of people living and working in Wyoming weren't born in Wyoming. In the 70's there was a large influx of people from California. Wyoming has pretty much been a boom state with oil, gas, uranium, coal since the early 1900's. In the late 1800's it was the rich aristocrats from Europe, having large cattle ranches and living in Cheyenne and Denver. So many times, when you have transient workers, they are running from something, someone or someplace. You will find people looking to get away from spouses', bad relationships, debt or a criminal background. When you have a boom society you have a lot of get rich quick people come with it and a lot of criminals, so you also get exposed to some of the dregs of society as well as some of the better hard-working people just trying to live a good life and raise a family. Doing control work and making a living at other work exposes you to all sorts of people from some of the best people you would ever want to meet to some of the worst people you wish you had never met. The only time and place that you aren't exposed to it is if you choose to isolate yourself from the rest of the world. Even doing control work when you bring in others from other places you have a mixture of people with all sorts of back grounds and personalities as has been said by someone a lot more intelligent than myself no man is an island. Now we should get back to the quest for predators by any means that we do it legally, with integrity and compassion for the lives of all of life forms.

Last edited:
It's getting the time of year here where the coyotes start to get pretty quiet, they may not answer you with talking back to you but might just show up, they may run in, or they may sneak in and just watch you, or if you are close to their denning area they might run out a ways and put on a display for you in an attempt to draw you away from it. The pitch of their voice when they do that is pretty high even for the males, they will give you some sharp howls and quite a bit of barking if you can see them, they will be doing kickbacks and a lot of posturing. The ones that just slip in on you are very quiet, they move most often in low spots and lay in a small saddle or depression on a higher ground location, I have so many times saw them laying and just keeping an eye on the area where they believe an intruder is challenging their authority and their domain keeping an eye on the den and the area they believe to have the intruder in it. They will watch your way for a while and then look toward the den hole for a while. That's the time that I will use the canine puppy sounds when I know where they are and laying out of range and I want to get them to come my way. I keep it in reserve for the coyotes that have to be killed and are well trained and just want to slip in and watch you, but then I wasn't doing it just for pleasure either, and I most times wanted a controlled coyote coming my way not a charging hard to stop animal wanting a fight. I like an adrenalin rush as much as the next person but needed a controlled situation in as many cases as I could during my coyote work with as many things lined up in my favor as I could as do most control workers because they have a job to get done and move on to the next project, the same as any other professional.

Last edited:
In 1987 I was doing some control work for the county. I went out to a rancher's place met him and was shown around his place and told that his neighbors also wanted me to check a few of their pastures as well. The neighbors gave me permission to go into their pastures. I took two dens from the original rancher's place found an old ewe with bad mastitis and told him about her he asked me to put her down if I got the chance. I went to the neighbor's pasture bordering him and was doing some tracking, found some male and female mud prints coming in and out of his pasture, as I tracked them, I got set up on a small pine ridge and was just looking and glassing as I figured I was getting close to the den because of the heavy traffic of them on the trails. Laying on a small rise in the shade of a pine tree was a coyote, I gave a howl and a bark it stood up then ran my way I shot it then checked it and had a wet female she showed 8 pups. I put her in my truck then went to the other side of a draw and got set up, it was nearly 9:00 by then, so I gave a lone female howl, waited several minutes and gave another lone howl. Straight across from me I saw a coyote laying in a small saddle staring my way. It would look at me then at a small open grassy place down the hill from us. I was a smoker at that time and knew he knew that I was a human and, in his area, so I lit a cigarette smoked it knowing it took me 5 minutes to smoke one, I then got him in my scope let out some puppy squeals and watched his ears stand up turn towards me, he then stood and slowly started my way came down a small hill crossed an open place then stopped on a cow trail facing me at about 50 yards. Down in the grassy open spot he and the female had both been watching was a hole dug out around ten feet deep was the den and eight puppies. I took a lot of coyotes with very little calling being done here where I am I so many times found that for me it worked best to not over do my calling but to keep it kind of toned down and limited the same as they do when they talk to one another.

I saw a nice red fox ( for Florida) yesterday morning as I first looked out after daylight from the kitchen window. I figured it was after the chickens, but as I watched he was just passing through never even gave them a second look. It was a big male. He just trotted down the tree line. Don't see many any more the coyotes have about rooted them out I believe

Thanks

Buck

I wonder if some of the other invasive species in Florida are also taking a toll on them as well such as some of the reptiles. They for sure are eating the food that the reds eat as well. I was out with a rancher one evening and he was telling me that he had been hearing a strange sound that he had never heard before. As we were visiting, he said there it is do you hear that. It was a red fox barking for a mate.

I got called one evening the rancher told me his brother and him had called and shot a wet female that morning and wanted to know if I would come out and locate the den and pups for them. That's the kind of stuff you get asked about when you get known as a problem solver, I told him that I would be out in a couple of days and asked him not to mess with them or the male till I could get there. I finished with the den that I was going to before he called. And met him, we went out to where they had gotten the female, I got set up on a high ridge overlooking some badlands that ran to another ridge and a canyon. I started with locator howls and barks, waited a couple of minutes and did them again. The old male answered then the pups chimed in they were all the way across the badlands in some rough draws leading up to the other ridgeline. I got to glassing and located the adult, so I talked to him some more and watched him start toward us. I shot him at around 100 yards out gathered him up and headed toward where the pups had answered. After getting to the bottom of the draw I started walking it after a quarter hour I found puppy scat and tracks up on the rim was a couple of well-worn holes where the pups were coming and going in and out of them. Being the first part of June they were about 10 inches at the front shoulders. I got my wire set up ran it out drove my stakes to keep it from tangling as I cranked it into the hole and started fishing for pups, pretty soon the wire got hard to turn so I pulled it out with a pup tangled up in the barbs, as I was taking it out of the wire one ran out of the hole I grabbed at it missed my aim and it turned when I grabbed it by the ribs bit my thumb clamped down on me and one of his little canine teeth went through my thumb nail. I was saying to the rancher grab it and get it off my hand, he looked at me eyes wide and said oh he09 no I don't want bit like you are, I let loose of the one in the wire and grabbed the one on my thumb by the nap of its neck and got it off of me pulled it off of me and finished its young career, then went back to the one tangled up in my wire. I fished six pups total out of the hole including the one that bit me. A couple of weeks later we had a good laugh about it the rancher said you should have seen the look on your face, and I said to him you should have seen the look on your face. He and I took a lot of dens together over the years.

I was out one evening on a small hill in the middle of a large valley locating coyotes for the plane. I howled some sets of locator howls, two howls, two barks and another howl, then wait a couple of minutes and repeat them. I had a couple of groups answer me one was way off in another ranchers place so I called the plane and got it on the ones that were on the ranchers place I was working for they got the adults and saw the den by the pups running in it. I got there and took the pups from it then called the rancher and told him that we got those coyotes taken care of and about the other coyotes. He called me the next morning and told me the other rancher would meet me that evening. We met and the guy asked me where I had been when I heard them, I told him, and he looked at me and said that's at least two miles away can you make them talk again I think you might be mistaken as to where they really are. I told him that I would try to. We got set up and I started howling. Pretty soon a pair of coyotes started howling barking and being really loud and aggressive. He looked at me and said I've never heard a coyote act like that, I looked at him and said have you ever howled at a coyote when you were within a few yards of the den? He said I want to get the plane in on them I said okay, do you want me to take the den? I will get back to you for that when I can get the plane. Later that evening the first rancher called to tell me I have the plane lined up for the morning, to get that other pair you told me about down on the other place, then they want to go out to the ones you found on so and so's he called me and was kind of excited at how they reacted to you. I told him dam man that's thirty miles apart. Well, okay I'll work on so and so's till you can get there after the first ones. I got out the next morning and located the first ones the plane got one but the other one holed up on them, I got there at the hole set up two smoke cartridges and shoved them in the hole put my coat over the hole, I don't like to set next to the hole when I do that but I did this time. Pretty soon the plane called and told me that they had taken three adults on the other den and that the rancher was at it with the area supervisor and that I should go over there when I could. I pulled the female out of the hole and her pups were with her she had four and was only a yearling herself, the pups were just starting to turn tan from the chocolate brown they are as newborn, so I figured them to be two or three weeks old. I headed out to the other den met the area supervisor on his way out and he gave me the ranchers rifle and water jug, told me right where the den was and that the second rancher told him it was right where I told him it would be. I got down there and we were wiring pups out when from behind us a half-grown pup ran past me and tried to get in the hole the rancher was wiring in, he pinned it with his right foot, and I grabbed it by its neck behind the ears, pulled my 22 revolver out and took care of it. The second rancher said I wondered why you always wore that your kind of a cold hearted bastered to kill a pup like that and laughed. these pups were half grown so they were probably over a month old maybe a month and a half. The male and one of the females were older maybe three years old but one of the females was only a pup from the year before.

Not hunting related but I received a few of my grandmothers old hickory butcher knives. This one had a cracked handle with one missing rivet. So I decided to make and fit a new handle. I settled on some scrap pieces of persimmon for its toughness and character. I drilled out and replaced the rivets with torx head inserts. I sealed the handles and put them on the next night. They should last another 50 years

Thanks

Buck
IMG_5159.jpeg

Not hunting related but I received a few of my grandmothers old hickory butcher knives. This one had a cracked handle with one missing rivet. So I decided to make and fit a new handle. I settled on some scrap pieces of persimmon for its toughness and character. I drilled out and replaced the rivets with torx head inserts. I sealed the handles and put them on the next night. They should last another 50 years

Thanks

BuckView attachment 566126
Good on ya !

Buck; that looks good. I enjoy working persimmon and it's great for howlers or knife scales. I like the torx head screws. Old hickory knives are an old standby kitchen tool I still have a few and love them. The old carbon steel knives kind of fell out of favor with the advent of stainless-steel knives but to me they still are the better knife unless you want to spend a lot of money on a knife. You can look at a kitchen knife like that one and see where the work was done with it by the blade having a worn-down area from use and sharpening close to the handle. So many of the older ladies would slide their hand into a drinking glass and use it like a steel to just keep the used area sharpened up. I know a custom knife maker that does that to his blades right out of the shop because when he was learning the art that's what some of the knives, he got from an older knife maker looked like. I asked him if he knew why they were that way and he said well, that's the way so and so makes his so that they cut better. So, then I asked him have you ever looked at the older knives used by a housewife in her kitchen for years. A few garage sales and auction houses later he asked me how did you know about that. By being exposed to it in the kitchen helping and watching a lot of women sharpen their knives on a drinking glass.