Ramblings and Such From Hunting Coyote

A younger guy that I know, and I were visiting a while back, He had bought a used savage 110 varmint rifle. He got it for a good price but when he got it home and decided to check its sight in nearly every time, he closed the bolt it sounded like the firing pin was dropping. He asked if I would look at it for him, I said that I would. I brought it home, made sure it was unloaded, then checked the action screws, they were tight, actually over tight, I took the action out of the stock, cocked the bolt and closed it gently, it didn't act like it shouldn't. So, then I pulled the trigger the amount of weight it took surprised me nearly no pressure on it at all. I then cocked it and with fast hard movement closed the bolt and it sounded like it fired. I got my savage trigger wrench out and checked it, someone had tried to set the trigger pull weight lighter than it was designed to be set. I adjusted it to the max, and it worked as it should, so then I tried adjusting the pull weight to its lightest setting the way that Savage says to and tried every way to make it do what it had before. I cleaned the trigger, reassembled the action in the stock, torqued the action screws to the correct torque, took it to the range and tested it out with ammo, all went well. Things don't have to be as tight as you can make them, they have specks for a reason. I think it was sold because the guy didn't know what he was doing and didn't think to check to see what he should be doing, and he thought that he had messed it up and made it become a dangerous firearm, to the point that it needed a new trigger. But in the end, it worked out good.
I bought a Savage 112 300 Win mag that had a Timney put in that the sear Engagement was messed up , wasn't adjusted right. I think that's why it was sold

I have to love it when it's an easy fix, but even replacing the trigger isn't that bad. My neighbor bought a new in the box Winchester shot gun a few weeks ago. He called me and said I can't get the barrel on it I've tried and tried, and it just won't go together. I went over and brought it all home box and instruction sheet included. I took a few minutes to read the supplied materials. then I got my 1/8-inch punch out pushed the pin out and lifted out the trigger assembly slid the barrel in put the lower assembly back in pushed the pin in and tried it out for function, took it back to him within 30 minutes. He goes to me most people have a dad I have a dave. As with so many people they are good neighbors just young and haven't been exposed to a lot of things yet, but when I am able to explain things to him and his wife, they will remember it and do good with it. I have respect for people like that.

When you are younger it's hard to say to yourself stop, take a step back and think it over when you are having a hard time with anything. But with a predator problem so many times that is the best way to find the solution. There have been so many times that you get a call go out and get the offender or offenders quickly after the other guy has been trying hard and is at their wits end. Most of the time it's just because they got frustrated and weren't thinking clearly about it. I am as guilty as anyone else of not stepping back and relaxing enough to allow my thought process to actually process what is going on but as I aged it became easier to do just that. The pressure is on I have to get this done type of thoughts keep rolling around your mind, but you are defeating yourself with that type of thoughts. I have never slept a lot, but I can't count the number of times that I have left a coyote problem disgusted and feeling defeated by them, just to wake up with the answer popping into my head, or the answer to any number of other problems because I relaxed enough to let the answer come out of my mind's eye. I made a good living solving other people's problems for them because most of the time they would get frustrated and let themselves become overwhelmed. Not only doing predator control but in other areas of life. I had a younger guy call me and ask me if I would come out and help him with a yearling lamb killing coyote. He had been trying for a couple of weeks, he had M-44's set snares set a few leg hold traps set but the killing kept happening. Only small portions of them would be eaten then a new kill would be made, first clue. I met him and we went out to look at the kills, on the freshest one I skinned the neck back the canine teeth were only about an inch apart, second clue, coyote canines are farther apart than that. He showed me his M-44's and they were driven straight down in the ground and close to the ground. I removed one of his and relocated it to the up-wind side of a trail. Selected a small backing bush, set it at an angle, so that it compensated for the animal's mouth and neck as it reached down to bite it. Now it was set so the animal couldn't roll on it and it would deliver it full amount in the animal's mouth not to the side or into the air. I made sure that it wasn't driven too far down so the animal's nose wasn't rubbing in the dirt as it reached down to bite and pull upward either. next we looked at his snare sets, and I showed him some of the things that I did a little differently and explained that I liked to dull my snares by cleaning them simmering them in baking soda water, because if they shine in sun light, they will also shine in moon light. I showed him the tracks around the kills coming down the trails and told him they were bobcat tracks not coyote tracks, and that the spacing of the canine teeth were too close to be coyote teeth and that the yearlings were too big to be killed by a red fox, which have close to the same spacing on their canines. Because he had predetermined that it had to be a coyote and then had become frustrated at not getting a coyote and wasn't trying to get a bobcat, he hadn't taken a step back and really figured out what his problem was, and how best to deal with it.

I also worked as a mill wright to pay for my addiction to predator control so that I didn't have to charge as much for it and could then just allow it to pay its way. I got called one Friday and told that I needed to do a short turnaround and be back in the morning by 6:00 after getting off at midnight, to work with a factory rep from G.E. on a steam turbine stop valve. They aren't overly complicated but have some things that aren't seen every day, they have a hydraulic system that does a few things so that they operate smooth and steady. One of the brass bellows was not working correctly, and they wanted it replaced. To do the job properly the turbine needed to be cool enough to shut down the slow turning of it so that the lubricating oil could be shut off and not put the babbit bearings at risk. No, you are going to have to do it faster and only allowed to turn the oil pump off for a couple of minutes at a time the temperature of the metal is going to be a little over one hundred degrees. The area you are working in is only 120 degrees. We got everything ready opened as much as we could got the new part ready, the part costs 35000.00 dollars. I followed the reps directions got the old part out and was trying to put the new part in, but it wasn't fitting right, the rep said just push it a little harder, I did and heard a bad sound come from it, the new bellows had kinked and was now just scrap metal. The rep started to get panicky we had to get the oil pump going again or there would be a few million dollars' worth of damage done to the turbine. I grabbed some 16-gauge tie wire wired the pilot valve in place and told the operator to fire up the oil pump. The rep said it's going to be two weeks to get a new bellows made, I told him I worked in a Radiator repair shop when I was a kid, I can fix the old one. He looked at me and said okay you can see if you can we don't have anything to lose we can only gain if you can. I got a coffee can , they were metal at that time, set the bellows down in the can with the end that was leaking at the solder joint up, filled the can with water to just below the joint and fired up a rosebud torch got my vice grip pilers on the top of the bellows and put just slight amount of upward pressure on it then started heating it. Pretty soon I saw a little shinney solder start to flow and the top popped off. I let it cool off then cleaned everything. I then tinned the top with new solder, you heat it just enough that new solder will flow and adhere to it in a thin layer, set it on the bellows in the coffee can of water and heated it till it dropped down into place. Things had cooled enough that they thought they could let the turbine set for ten minutes by that time, so we got the repaired bellows installed, tried it out and put everything back together. A sixteen-hour day after a couple hours of sleep, a factory rep that wanted to panic till I got him to take a step back and look at things from a little different perspective, he added some more knowledge to his collection. I came in Monday afternoon and was told I was fired for ruining 35000.00 dollars in new parts, The factory rep told them in some loud and a few profane words that they were fools and that because I knew how to fix what he had me break they should give me a bonus not terminate me and the next time they wanted to do things without taking the time to do it properly not to call him. I got to keep my job they got a bonus and three weeks later they took the time to let the machine cool down so that the factory rep and another mechanic could properly install a new bellows. Another example of taking the time to step back slow down and let yourself see other options.

I got offered a job to go to work for a large well-known corporation, they offered me more money in a month than I was making in six months. I declined their offers a couple of times. I didn't want to travel all over the world for them I wanted to be with my family as well as do predator control work, those things meant more than monetary material things to me, I was a wealthy man in my eyes, and still am.

As far as I can tell every aspect of what we learn, to live our lives plays a part in our pursuit of predators, all of our work ethics, the way we think about life, the way we look at the lives of others and way we think about the life of the other species everything ties together in our abilities to hunt, call, trap and snare predators, fish or hunt deer or turkeys. I started being a perfectionist at a young age and it just kind of spilled over to all of the things in my life.

I have all of my life done things that most people wouldn't do, I have messed a lot of things up in my lifetime by trying things that others wouldn't. I learned a lot by making mistakes that I then had to figure out how to fix. I was also very lucky in life and had a lot of older experienced people in my life that were willing to teach me what they knew. I learned by being exposed to these people and observing them while they went about their everyday lives not always knowing that they were actually teaching me how to do things. An example would be my grandpa replacing a hammer handle while I was hanging out around him when I was maybe six, I still do it that way to this day, and have that hammer in my garage with that same hickory handle in it. I will strip and refinish a rifle stock, replace the iron sights on a pistol, mount a scope, put some bluing on my carbon steel firearms or even bed an action in a new stock. But there are limits that I will observe, I am going to take some things to a professional to be done, I am not going to true an action, replace a barrel, that isn't designed to be done by a barrel nut. I will replace a trigger but I'm not going to fine tune one by stoning it, I will clean it and adjust it. I'm not going to replace a computer system in my truck, but I will change the oil and air filter. I will play around and learn how to make a knife blade then do a heat treatment of the various steels that I use, but if that fails nobody is going to be injured or killed. I will take some things to other people that are trained how to do them and have the experience doing them and I will even ask them to let me watch them as they do things just to satisfy my own curiosity and expand my knowledge knowing that I will never do it myself. I will still go out and kill a problem animal that others have tried to and not been able to, but I'm a little bit anal about how I go about it, I am a little more cautious than the average person when I go out to do that, I take my time and observe not just look, I have some steps that I take in a specific order, no matter what it is that I am doing. If I'm going to work on a firearm, fill my gas tank or hunt a problem animal there are steps that I do first and things that must be in a certain order to be done correctly. We all have the way we preferer to do what we do and that work for us I'm not a farmer or rancher, I know just enough about it to get in trouble if I tried to become one, I can fix a fence or water tank when needed but that is just the tip of that iceberg. I have a lot of respect and admiration for people who are professionals and take pride in their crafts, weather they are a gunsmith, mill wright, welder, cabinet maker, farmer, rancher or homemaker and thus I enjoy hearing of their experiences and learning things from them that will be adapted to fit in my life, no matter if I am hunting, calling trapping or fixing a problem with one of my firearms.

When I first started working as an automotive mechanic for my Father and my Uncle , I was told to :

#1 - Do a visual inspection of the vehicle to be worked on

#2 - Verify that a problem actually exists , as listed in customer's check-out list

#3 - Most Important - a quote from my Father and Uncle - "You have to be Smarter than what you are working on" !!!!!

In my limited experience of hunting Coyotes , I have always tried to look-over the area that I am going to hunt ( as In my #1 )

Try to enter the area quietly , and out-of-sight , then sit a while before beginning my calling ( somewhat similar to my #2 )

Unfortunately , I have NOT completed my #3 step - "Be smarter than what you are working on"
The Coyote has me beaten most of the time .

DMP25-06

When I first started working as an automotive mechanic for my Father and my Uncle , I was told to :

#1 - Do a visual inspection of the vehicle to be worked on

#2 - Verify that a problem actually exists , as listed in customer's check-out list

#3 - Most Important - a quote from my Father and Uncle - "You have to be Smarter than what you are working on" !!!!!
I like number 3 but I usually say you have to smarter than what your working with or for. Sometimes this includes people

Thanks

Buck

In my limited experience of hunting Coyotes , I have always tried to look-over the area that I am going to hunt ( as In my #1 )

Try to enter the area quietly , and out-of-sight , then sit a while before beginning my calling ( somewhat similar to my #2 )

Unfortunately , I have NOT completed my #3 step - "Be smarter than what you are working on"
The Coyote has me beaten most of the time .

DMP25-06
I couldn't have said or put it any better myself DMP 25-06! My approach to this quarry is the same as yours.