Quickload: Shot Start Pressure

nksmfamjp

In Quickload, there is a Shot Start Pressure variable which I thought was basically 3625psi and increase up to about 10800psi for hard jam. I find 10800psi seems too high for my rifles, but I don't usually jam, except looking for max load to back off of….

So, I'm trying some mono's. 6525psi is a pretty high start pressure. What is weird, is I just noticed start pressure default is like ~2200psi, but Barnes is 3626psi. Should I be starting at these default values?

The reduced values make sense because bullets like hammers have the ridges to reduce engraving pressure, but I don't really know how much….

What should I set Shot Start Pressure to for monos?

Last edited:
I don't understand the meaning of shot start pressure, but I am closer to actual velocities with Barnes and Hammer bullets with 6525 before adjusting burn rates, assuming you have everything you can measure adjusted to actual: COAL, H2O, temperature, etc.

Hope that helps.

I've wondered the same thing! Primer related? Bullet to start down the barrel? I had seen a post about primers of several manufacturers with ignition rates. Might have been on Brian Enos site if I can say that?

One never knows with QuickLOAD, but I'm fairly sure the starting pressure is determined by the nature of the bullet. All copper bullets have higher starting pressures than cup and core.

One never knows with QuickLOAD, but I'm fairly sure the starting pressure is determined by the nature of the bullet. All copper bullets have higher starting pressures than cup and core.
I agree, but think about the progression of copper bullets. The first ones were smooth. Then can the 2 groove ones, now there are 6-8 groove models, then Absolute Hammers, etc. So I think they are aggressively working on that…

Recent Posts