Quickload Questions

wild_musk

I purchased Quickload and have been experimenting with a 338-06 AI. I have some questions. I already found some answers from previous posts, but the following is still unclear to me.

Here is my rifle and component data:
- 22.5" barrel, measured from the point at which a .338" rod touches the lands...I don't know if that is correct, but seemed like an ok way to do it.
- Norma 338-06 A-Square brass, fire formed, 2.475"
- RL 15
- Barnes 225g TTSX, seated .01" into lands
-- Shank seat depth - .647", gives an OAL of 3.373-3.375"

My reloads are averaging approximately 50fps slower than QL says they should, with SDs of 7, 11.5, and 10.3 on three 5-shot groups.

I'm shooting in Eastern NM, 4300', 93 deg F, 26%H, 29.91". First question, are environmental conditions disregarded for internal ballistics? I don't see a way to input my shooting conditions in QL.

Second, QL does not have data for the Ackley Imp version of the cartridge - I'm using the standard 338-06 A-Square data, which is my suspicion for where the majority difference in velocity is originating. Makes sense, slightly larger case volume should, ATBE, produce slightly lower pressure and lower velocity...right??

Will the program allow me to create my own "improved" cartridge by editing the basic 338-06? Is it as simple as measuring the water capacity of my cases, or do I have to somehow figure in the 40deg shoulder?

I know that many other factors can affect my internal pressures and velocities, and I know that my Millennium Chronograph, while great, is not as good as the ones powder companies use - so how do I go about picking which factors to adjust in order to tune QL?

Thanks in advance, sorry so long...coty

Re: Quickload Questions - 338-06 AI

Posting what I've discovered about my own questions, in case anyone ever has similar questions.

I measured the water capacity of my improved brass, and it was of course more than the standard 338-06 by a few grains; so I updated this factor in QL. I also ensured the length of my brass and OAL of the cartridge were set correctly - I think QL calculates a more accurate case volume now, and velocities are impressively close to my chrony.

I also re-measured my barrel length to adjust the actual "bullet travel" distance, which I overlooked previously. My barrel is closer to 24", giving me approx. 22.5" of barrel travel.

Having these factors as close to reality as possible seemed to increase the fidelity of the QL predictions for velocity and pressure. Duh.

I loaded a range of RL15 from low to high and proceeded to test for pressure. I got stiff bolt lift and bolt marks on case heads right about the point that QL calculated 65000psi. No cratered or flattened primers. Temp was in the low 90's. I think this is what I want for "my" maximum allowable load. Velocity was approx. 2700fps +/- 10 (QL predicted 2703), but 3 shot group was 2.1". Realize there's not a high degree of fidelity in 3 shots for accuracy or Vel SD, but I don't want to load this hot anyway.

5-shot groups are approximately 3/4" after backing off 3 full grains, but I lose 150fps 2550fps. Would love to run a ladder test, but range is limited until I can get back home this fall. More importantly to me, I should now have enough data to test other bullets/components in QL for good results without wasting a lot of brass and powder. More to follow if that works out.

You're doing everything just the way you should.
Great job!

Don't forget to store this cartridge file, so that you can pull it up anytime and run 'what ifs' for consideration of other loads.
Just for info, a program that goes hand in hand with QL for development of new cartridges and'or predicting loads & results before ever holding a gun, is 'Cartridge Designer' embedded in 'RCBS.load' software. This is truly a hidden jewel, that is way better than QuickDesign.
RCBS.Load software
With Cartridge Designer you can assemble the case for filling out a reamer print, and to get your H20 capacity, which you can then type into any cartridge of cal in QL and run what-ifs on. Maybe validate your results over at Reloadersnest.com. You can do this in ~30mins and decide up front if you're producing what you want/need.

Attachments

• 338-06AI.jpg
    338-06AI.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 91
Awesome, thanks - I've been looking for that! I found similar advice last week about the RCBS program. I actually have it, but my version is so old it no longer works on my computer - I must have purchased it 10-15 years ago. Anyway, I've been too busy to upgrade during the work week, but will.

Just returned from the range for accuracy testing. My groups are acceptable at -1gr down from "my max." I still need to test at range when able, but I don't think I'll have to give up 150fps to get an accurate loading. Thanks again for the design specs.

I have RCBS Load, and it sucks, IMO. I would much rather have 3D models with QuickDesign.

I'll probably buy QD soon. Not sure what I'll do with RCBS Load, but I installed it on my laptop, tried to use it, and can't figure it out. It came with ZERO instructions, and you can't find anything about it on the internet, either...

I'm an early adopter of QuickEverything, and Cartridge Designer.
If you can't use Cartridge designer, I don't see how you would find QuickDesign friendly.

If somone were to sit down and show me the actual basics of (how to get started and input numbers into) Cartridge Designer, I would not have a problem. But as I am not a computer savvy person, it really makes life hard with some things.

I talked to the guy at Necos (the people who invented QD, QL, etc...) and he said the new version is very user-friendly... So, I have no idea.

Mike, maybe you can walk me through the basic inputation of numbers once you choose your parent cartridge. It would be much appreciated. I am going to try to play around with RCBS Load again tonight, and might even bring it here to work so I can download and give it a shot during the day...

I admit to thinking similar thoughts about RCBS Load when I first got it, although I did not use the design feature back then. That part of the program is what I've found multiple praises for, fwiw.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.