Quickest way to find an accurate load

Can you define accurate? Some say 3-4" at 1k with a hunting rifle is accurate. Some think 1/2" at 100 yards is accurate.

OP: If this another 28 Nosler barrel, don't you a;ready have data?!
I do have load data and I'll start there. It just got me thinking about what others do when they start their initial load development. I'm sticking with 195gr EOL, Reloader 33 84-87gr, nosler brass, federal 215m... I read through hours of data and it's good to hear my process is similar to others. Just wanted to throw the question out there and see if some people had a process that was different, many ways to skin the cat!

First, what twist is your barrel ? That will dictate what bullets you can shoot, hopefully it's an 8 or 8.5
If you are shooting in CA it can get HOT here so you are going to want a heat stable powder so stay away from Reloder 26, 33, IMR 7828, etc. Go with N570, H1000, Retumbo, possibly H4350 if shooting a lighter bullet.
Take a 169 grain Hammer Hunter and seat it to the longest mag length you can get by with then start with ~70 grains of H1000(I don't have a 28Nosler so I'm just estimating, others can chime in) and run a ladder test and find where you hit pressure, then back down a little from there. I'm not sure what your reloading experience is so I don't know how much detail to go into but the first thing I would do is talk to Steve at Hammer Bullets as I am sure he has load data for a 28 Nosler and will get you taken care of.

PS; "never heard of Hammer Bullets"...... Blasphemy !!!

https://hammerbullets.com/product-tag/284-7mm/page/2/

RL26 isn't a temp stable powder? First I've seen that in print.

RL26 isn't a temp stable powder? First I've seen that in print.
"sort of" ..... it is very stable until it get to ~84F then it pressures up fast making it unsuitable for hot climates like me and the OP in CA summers. If you can stay below that it's a fantastic powder and gives some ridiculous speeds !

That's what math says. But a load that shoots 1/2"'at 100 doesn't meant it's going to shoot 5" at 1k unless it was developed at distance. Trust me on that. Most people think that's the case. Find a 1/2" group at 100 and she'll be a good 5" shooter at 1k.

When I'm starting load development I'll start with a low charge. Load up some 3 shot groups starting at .015" off the landes or mag length which ever is shorter and seat each group deeper by .030".

Which ever shot best I'll use that seating depth for my load work. I shoot a ladder over my chrono ( I use magneto speed, must have an accurate chrono for this!) target dosent matter. Look for my upper flat spot near max. Then I'll load up 5 shot groups and fine tune my seating depth in .005" increments.

If you don't have a magneto speed or labradar then you could do 3 shot ladder test at 300 yards.

This is my method that's worked well for me. Yrmv

What's your quickest way to find a .5moa/ish load. From new barrel, brass,powder, bullets.... I've got another 28nosler coming and want to preserve barrel life as much as possible. What's everyones routine? I'm not looking to burn 20 different Combo's trying to find that .25 load. Long range Hunting accuracy and repeatable sd's are more important than that last 1/4in.
Start by asking the builder if the gun you are buying is capable of .25 moa! Often our expectations far surpass the capabilities of our equipment. Many manufacturers will guarantee sub moa as long as you are capable of shooting sub moa....however bare in mind that .999 is sub moa to the builder.

Start by asking the builder if the gun you are buying is capable of .25 moa! Often our expectations far surpass the capabilities of our equipment. Many manufacturers will guarantee sub moa as long as you are capable of shooting sub moa....however bare in mind that .999 is sub moa to the builder.
Sorry you said .5....same thing applies though.

"sort of" ..... it is very stable until it get to ~84F then it pressures up fast making it unsuitable for hot climates like me and the OP in CA summers. If you can stay below that it's a fantastic powder and gives some ridiculous speeds !
Yeah! It gets real nasty, real fast, after 84F!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.