Quick one and only gun opinion

ofdscooby

This elk season my friend got to try out my rig and shoot an elk at 600 yards he loved it and is hooked. He's letting me put together a rig for him now and we are doing matching .280ai's but he is starting to get concerned. His main concerns come because ammo is hard to find and we live in CA. By 2019 we can only shoot copper for hunting and already in some state owned areas they have gone copper and then there's Condor zones. So as a reloader am I steering him in the wrong direction should he go another route. We've been best friends for years and I told him I'll set the guns up and reload all his ammo but I understand his concerns. Am I steering him in the right direction? Is there another long range copper round I'm not considering. Build components Rem 700 long action that he already has, Bartline 2b barrel, and a McMillan with Edge.

Whats your friend's concerns if your reloading? If he's concerned about a factory ammo option he might want to look at going with a 7mm rem mag. Should be able to find Solid copper ammo for it pretty easy

Good advice not sure why anyone would go for a 280ai over the straight rem mag. Less performance, reload only, brass forming, while 7rm is everywhere, 3rd most popular round in the country.

Nosler has custom loads in etip for 280ai. There are guys that get great accuracy shooting federal 280 rem barnes in their 280ai's. Once I built my straight 280, the 7mag stayed waaay back in the safe. You can't go to the 7mag with bolt face/action he has, so stick to the plan.

This elk season my friend got to try out my rig and shoot an elk at 600 yards he loved it and is hooked. He's letting me put together a rig for him now and we are doing matching .280ai's but he is starting to get concerned. His main concerns come because ammo is hard to find and we live in CA. By 2019 we can only shoot copper for hunting and already in some state owned areas they have gone copper and then there's Condor zones. So as a reloader am I steering him in the wrong direction should he go another route. We've been best friends for years and I told him I'll set the guns up and reload all his ammo but I understand his concerns. Am I steering him in the right direction? Is there another long range copper round I'm not considering. Build components Rem 700 long action that he already has, Bartline 2b barrel, and a McMillan with Edge.

Both the .280AI and 7MM Rem Mag will do the job. However, like others, my personal preference between the two would be the 7MM Rem Mag esp. when elk is involved.

Check out these bullets >>>

https://hammerbullets.com/shop/

Cutting Edge Bullets

Peregrine Bullets | Bullets for the rifle connoisseur

Thanks for the input guys we are gonna stick with the AI right now he's already looking forward to a 300 win mag or a 7mm ten mag for the next gun I think he's been bit by the bug.

don't listen to those 7mm RM knuckle draggers. The 280 Ackley is clearly for the more refined shooters. :D

Nosler factory ammo, 150 grn eTip is great for the 280ai.

Or just talk him into reloading, and you open the door to a whole bunch of options. If you have a 1:8 twist barrel, the 168 grain Barns LRX is an interesting option. Otherwise the 145 grn LRX.

One thing to note with copper bullets is they require a faster twist barrel than an equal weight lead bullet, so if doing a .30 caliber for example you might want to get a 9 twist instead of a 10 so you can shoot a 200 grain copper bullet.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.