Quick opinions on .22 ammo

4ked Horn

Any reccomendations on .22 rimfire ammo that is consistamt but not a ton of money. I am going to buy some for my son to go with the scope Cowboy gave me but I want it to be a reasonable price so he can afford to buy some for himself if he wants to.

If you know the BC for it and what drag function to use that would be really cool.

Ive got a Mossberg M44 that just loves PMC Scoremaster. I am using it for a cheap alternative to practice with my big gun. I get ES of 5 most days, if I crunched all the data I have, it might be 8-10fps. Its a 40gr solid bullet mv of 1053 from a 26" barrel. BC of .120 gets accurate drop and wind data from 30 to 400yds from most ballistic programs.
its not .99 cents at walmart, but I can get it for just under $2.00 at my favorite shooting sports store. Try a box and see if your gun likes it.
PS: remember that subsonic ammo drifts less in the wind, and is more acurate than the HV or HyperV ammo.

I use the american eagle el-cheapo brand. It's jacketed, goes bang every time, and blows the hell out of whistle pigs. The only down side is that they have 40 rounds per box instead of 50. Last time I looked it was a little over $8 for a brick of 800.

WINCHESTER SUPER X has proven to me to be the best for the money in many different brands of .22 rimfires over these many years. I can usually find it for around $125.00 per case. I don't know the BC sorry. With my .22 Marlin mod 39 with the 2x7 Leupold it will take a ptarmigans head off at fifty yards. From a rest I have put a box of fifty in the dia. of a quarter @ fifty yards. Work hard at keeping it fun for him!

[ QUOTE ]
with the 2x7 Leupold it will take a ptarmigans head off at fifty yards

[/ QUOTE ] Sorry to get off subject here but what is a ptarmigan?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif Just curious

This is

ptarmigan.jpg

They are a distant relative of the Pturkey.

(I don't know if it is or not. I just wanted to say Pturkey.)

my wife uses the winchester in her browning semi pistol,clean and functions flawlessly.i saw a cabellas special in a 500rd brick for $7.99 thats a fantastic price.i'm stocking what i can now,have 5 so far also found them at a large local shop at the same price.winchester may be running a sale.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
with the 2x7 Leupold it will take a ptarmigans head off at fifty yards

[/ QUOTE ] Sorry to get off subject here but what is a ptarmigan?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif Just curious

[/ QUOTE ] I love the story of Chicken, Alaska, how it got it's name. It seems the boys in the mining camp needed a post office, to get a post office they needed a name for the camp. Everyone agreed it should be PTARMIGAN, Alaska. Trouble was, nobody new how to spell ptarmigan. Just one more case of tastes like chicken, I guess? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks for the help guys. I picked up a brick of the Winchester super X at sportsmans outhouse today with some Beeman scope rings (mighty nice rings for aluminium 3/8 dovetail mounts). I looked for the PMCs but found none. I will keep an eye out for those.

Do you think a BC of about .120 would apply to most round nose .22 ammo?

Which super X did you get?
There are both a LRN, and LRN standard velocity.
LRN goes 1255 with a BC of .132
LRN sv goes 1150 with a BC of .142
Bc and MV is directly from winchester.
I have only shot the SV version and it had a measured BC of .115.
Its worth noting that both of these loads use the same bullets, but that the lower bc of the first load is due to its supersonic starting velocity, and then subsequent transit of the transonic zone.
I don't know how far you are planning on shooting it, but if its gonna be further than 50yds, you definately want to start subsonic.

Well I bought a brick of 37 grain high vel hollow points (before reading your latest response). The store didn't have (or I just didn't see) any standard vel winchester super X. I figure I will let him shoot these up this summer or if we want to go out to longer rimfire ranges I will get him something else and I will shoot these.

Now it has been a while but I know I have shot soda cans consistantly at 100 yards with cheapy .22 ammo. How much accuracy degradation will occur from 50 to 100 yards?

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.