Quick load help?

Just ran a Q/L for the 300 Roy with the 180 Nosler AB bullet with 80 grs of H 4831SC. Now these are using the default settings that are in Q/L. They will certainly be different in your rifle Pressure for this load regardless of barrel length is 63314 psi
26" barrel---3126 ft/sec
24" barrel---3064 ft/sec
16" barrel---2718 ft/sec
Must say this surprised me but I know that big cases loose more vel per inch than smaller ones.

YES. N - 560 and 565 would work very well. And would give you top velocity.
Thank you. I have emailed Vihtavuori for load data of n565. I have that powder. Its odd that there is published load data of N565 of 300 win mag but not for 300 roy. I have read that 565 lines uo with h1000 and others have used that charge weight. How do I figure out a place to start with a powder?

Darrin

Here is a copy of the VV data from 2019
300WBY_VV.JPG

Thank you for your help, I have the same manual. They don't even list N565 at all for the 300 weatherby. However you look at the 300 win mag data and N565 is listed for 180 grn bullets. Only ten loads posted for 300 weathetby. 💁i guess I can always take 300 win mag data and work up slow.
Darrin
I noticed that. Maybe try and model it on GRT or QL

Last edited:
Optimal barrel time node for 24" barrel is node 4 = 1.1016. Node 5= 1.2282. That load in pic is very close to node 4. If your velocities are close to QL's you'll be very close to an accurate load. Dropping down to 84 grns N565 would put you spot on node 5 with velocities at or near 3050fps

Just my understanding from the notes in VV page, the N565 is meant for heavier bullets. But I never tried. Let us know how it works out. I want to evnetually get away from all the Hodgdon brands.

Just my understanding from the notes in VV page, the N565 is meant for heavier bullets. But I never tried. Let us know how it works out. I want to evnetually get away from all the Hodgdon brands.
Whats funny is VV has N565 all the way up for 300 win. Starting at 150 grns all the way up to the 230. But does not list it at all for the 300 weatherby. Don't know why. Lol
Im with you I have really wanted to shot VV powders. I've read just how consistent they are from lot to lot.

Darrin

Whats funny is VV has N565 all the way up for 300 win. Starting at 150 grns all the way up to the 230. But does not list it at all for the 300 weatherby. Don't know why. Lol
Im with you I have really wanted to shot VV powders. I've read just how consistent they are from lot to lot.

Darrin
Maybe they did more testing with the 300WM because its more common. Thank God for QL and GRT modeling.