Questions RE: N560, Hunting Texas in the Summer, 30-06

Okie John

I'm heading to Texas over Labor Day to shoot hogs with my trusty Model 70 in 30-06. I expect temperatures well above 100F. One load that I'm considering is 61.4 grains of N560 under a 180-grain Hornady Boat-Tailed Spitzer. Velocity in my rifle is 2,750 fps at 57F in a 23.5" barrel. How much should I expect velocity to change when the ambient temperature nearly doubles?

Thanks,

Okie John

Good question. I know Hornady's 4DOF lists some powders you can check but not that one. Sure would be nice if one of the big companies would step off in to that testing. It would be time consuming but I would give $100 for that chart. I'm sure there are a lot of other hunters/shooters would too.

Can you test it now from your current location, using a chronograph? You might also be able to warm those cartridges just by putting them in your pants pocket, against your body.

Why don't you build up some loads at a lower node if you're worried about them? Chances are you won't be shooting past 100yrds anyway, so you will have plenty of firepower. Take your current load along with you and if it works, use it.....if not, you have a backup. For what it is worth, I built a load for my 6.5wsm with N565 @ 75° and shot it yesterday at 97° and had no change in velocity....I know, not the same powder

Like Bob Wright said, warm some up to 75, 85,95 and check MV and for pressure, then adjust your load if needed. If you noticed, VVs original N550,560, & 570 were not advertised as temp stable. Then they came with N565, 555, and 568, advertised AS temp stable. Then, maybe a year later?, N550, 560, 570 are advertised as temp stable. Did they change something?

I wouldn't worry to much about it.Just verify your zero after you get there and you should be good to go.About the only time your going to see hogs during the hot summer days is the early morning hours or usually the time between when the sun goes down and dark.It's fun to hunt them at night if you have moonlight or lights on a feeder.During those hot summer days,if there are any water holes around,you can sneek through nearby brush and often find them sleeping.

I have shot some loads w N560 in 95 plus temps in West Texas in August. It will be affected. If your load is a pretty hot load in moderate 70 degree weather, it may or could become dangerous at 100 degrees.
Id shoot one time with a chronograph to see how crazy it is
then go from there. But if its already hard lift bolt, and extraction marks, and pierced primers kind og load in moderate weather just back it off.

None of these European powder manufacturers shoot in Texas in July and August. They have no clue
about temperatures over 100.

I promise you even if it says temp stable it will be affected, especially if you are shooting semi auto at hogs, or more than 1 round without cooling.

Good question. I know Hornady's 4DOF lists some powders you can check but not that one. Sure would be nice if one of the big companies would step off in to that testing. It would be time consuming but I would give $100 for that chart. I'm sure there are a lot of other hunters/shooters would too.
I knew you'd be first to reply !
I think you work for VV.
😆👍🏻

Temp stable is kind of a misnomer. Nothing I've tested is immune to the heat. I'd back off some and zero when you get there. If need be warm up a cup of water in the microwave and bag some rounds in the hot water. Shoot to test. It may be 100 + but it may be 120+ in the cab or dash of a truck even into the later evenings. Texas doesnt necessarily cool off at night.

Recent Posts