questions on precision case prep

älg

Ok, I know 4ked raised an issue regarding handloading techniques some time ago, but a couple of questions were not treated or I just missed them.

1. case sizing: best way to avoid runout is to go with good dies such as redding s type or competition. The S type has an expander, but does the comp. die have that too or just the bushings to give the case mouth enough tension? will this tension be enough for hunting - ?

2. trimming: which trimmer gives the best results? Sinclair´s seems OK, but isn´t it too slow with that case holder??

3. deburring: in order to get the best result, any recommendation on a specific brand? better to deburr by hand or with some king of turning device ( drill, adapted trimmer...??

4. any recommendation on a device to check neck thickness as a way to sort out cases?

alg,
1 yes the redding s-dies and comp dies are a great way to reduce run-out (because with bushings you can get exactly the ammount of sizing that you need,not over-size your brass when most runout issues occur coming over the expander ball). yes the s-dies do have an expander ball and the comp dies do not, but if you choose the correct size bushing the expander on the s-dies should just barely touch the neck not causing run out issues. with that said the comp dies are better because the floating body keeps the case more square while sizing virtually eliminating run-out.the only problem with the comp die is that you must have the correct size bushing (that means buy 2or3 to make sure you have the right one) and your brass must be fairly close on neck thickness (I'll get to that in a minute).and to your last point on #1 yes there is enough tension for a hunting gun provided you dont drop your ammo on the ground.
#2 Trimmers actually Sinclair does not make a trimmer but they make accessories for the wilson trimmer,yes it is a little slow but more accurate than most other trimmers.
#3 this is one where some one else might have a better idea than me because I just do it by hand with an RCBS on the outside and a Holland tool on the inside.(the RCBS tool is really made by wilson)
#4 Sinclair makes a neck thickness variance guage that works very well (you must also buy a dial indicator along with it unless you allready have one) it is very fast to use and very use full to cull out the bad one's even if you are neckturning.
B.
let me know if you need more specific info

Brian hit the nail on the head perfectly. I agree with it all!

P.s. If you need a faster way to debur the case mouth, Sinclair makes a very sweet tool that holds your deburring tool and has a back end that can be chucked up in a power drill thus saving your wrists and saving time. It also gives a nicer cut because you have more RPM's behind it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Related question, I hope /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

When sorting cases by weight what would be the suggested tolerance? +/- what amount??

Cartridge is 338 Win. Charge is RL-22. Bullet is Serria 250gr.

Much experience w/222 in benchrest comp. No experience w/mags? Itsa new world up here in the long range stuff.

brian b, thanks. Just some more questions:

wilson trimmer: they say that you hav to tap the case to get it into the caseholder... does this give accurate results or the fit in the caseholder is different depending on how hard you "tap" the case?

does the case holder align properly with the cutter through some kind of rail,,,, do you need the clamp they also offer ( because clamping and unclamping is going to slow things down for sure). if you have to hold the caseholder with your fingers, maybe you do not get the square cut you are looking for ?

is it worth buying the sinclair mount or a vise works ok?

And last, regarding the sinclair neck thickness... does any dial fit ? i have one that came with an RCBS .

Thanks again.

Thanks goodg. Just one thing....can´t youi end up with to much cuting if you go high rpm when deburring??

And congratulations on your experiments with the moag and others.....

Alg

Hope I can help with some of this. I have the Wilson trimmer and love it. Yes, get the hold down clamp. I ended up being cheap...then called back and got the rest of the goods. As far as how you insert the case in the shell holder...I just tap it with the palm of my hand and it works great. They say use the bench top but if you tap too hard...That baby will get stuck. The case holder sits atop two small round rails perfect allignment every time. Oh, once you get the system down it's pretty darn fast. I would get the Sinclair mount as it is a nice addition. They have the whole kit with a discount last time I checked. Saves ya a few bucks.

In my opinion..The best I have used in awhile

Joe

Roy, sorting by weight wil depend on how finicky you become.. it deoends on how much brass you decide to cull.. basically it´s up to weighing them, and eliminate the extremes and keep thopse closer to the most comon weight. it is not that a specific weight is better than other, just a matter of uniforming the cases.

Advise on the Wilson case holders, they make one for fired brass and one for sized brass. So if you were one to neck size only then you would want the fired case version. Just a heads up. And by the way, I think the Wilson is the best out there.

Thanks, I checked the catalog and for the caliber I want ( 6,5 284) the case holder is the same.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.