Questions for those who coat their bullets with HBN .

DartonJager

As some reading this likely notice I posted asking if cold weld of bullets to case necks is real and if it can result in pressure spikes that will cause accuracy issues at longer ranges. I was rewarded with quite a few well thought and helpful out answers that based on those that responded cold welding in long term stored ammo does happen and it can and does affect accuracy.

While reading about cold welding of bullets to the inside of the case neck, I also read about a possible long term permanent solution to this problem, namely coating the bullets with Hex Boron Nitride or hBn.
The kits aren't terribly expensive at $40 and is advertised to coat 10K .30 caliber bullets so it's seams to be a very economical and easy to use solution if it works as advertised.

This possible solution caught my attention because my job requires I work at least 24hrs of OT weekly and I only get one weekend off a month, so I must reload at least a week in advance and more often than not the fates conspire against me in the form of range sessions cancelled due to weather, my boys at the last minuet on a perfect range day wanting to also go shooting that means AR's, HGs, .22s, lever action deer rifles anything but load development with my HP hunting rifles. Then there are the countless home maintenance projects both planned and unplanned, combined with if I can either go do something on my off days with my sons (like fishing or flying drones) or go shooting alone I pick my sons every time. All this can result in my reloads sitting unused for 6-12 weeks quite easily not to mention hunting loads sitting much much longer.

So has anyone reading this have any experience with HBN coating of bullets as a solution to cold weld induced pressure spikes? I'm liking the HBN option as according to what I read it is very easy to do and once coated with HBN bullets remain coated almost indefinitely if stored so they remain static, same goes with loaded bullets, this would eliminate the rather time consuming task of having to set up and re-seat bullets I set to 0.002" longer back to desired length. I already have both a rotary and vibratory case cleaner so all i need buy is the HBN kit.

So is HBN a viable solution to cold bullet weld?

I just shot some HBN coated rounds from last October and had same great performance. I'll keep using the stuff. I've also recently seen a buddy's loads have the performance go to crap (pressure spikes, necks split, groups went to crap) after letting rounds sit since last year (that shot amazing went first put together). Couldn't pull the bullets, had to set them back to pop them loose. I had told him if he was going to let them set for a period of time to load them long and seat them to the correct OAL before firing. He didn't, also think the super clean brass necks contributed. He wants to start coating his bullets now, sure don't see a negative to it.

I have been using the Tubbs HBN kit its simple enough but kind of a PIA in that if I shoot 100 rounds and then clean the barrel I have to shoot several rounds to re-coat the barrel with hbn before the rifle settles in. Not a huge deal but bugs me a little. You can also run an hbn coated alcohol patch down the barrel after cleaning to speed up the process. If you dont do this you will get a pretty good pressure spike for your first few rounds until the barrel is seasoned again. I will keep using it in the one target rifle but probably wont on my hunting rifles.

I use it on all my Long Range rifles. Lower SD's and cold bore shots hit in the group. I've shot cartridges loaded for over a year with hot loads and never noticed either pressure problems or cold bore issues from a seasoned bore. I have tried a couple of brands and only use Tubbs. I like it so well been thinking of trying his powder enhancing dust... But I'm chicken.

Thanks for the replies they gave me good info and help in making an informed decision about buying Tubbs HBN kit. The reviews I've read ran overwhelmingly positive in the HBN does what it claims to do. Basically most reviewers sum up HBN by saying HBN is everything molly tried to be but failed.
I've no doubt I will give it a try some time this year, just not sure when. I think first I will invest in a micro meter adjustment for my Forster BR die to try seating my loads long then set the bullets back 0.002's
Again thanks for the responses.

One thing i learned on this forum. If you wait to try it until it gets cold, you may have issues getting hbn to coat properly. Trick i learned here is to put them on a cookie sheet and warm them in a 150 deg oven a few minutes right before tumbling. Otherwise follow the instructions exactly. Works like a charm when i was pulling my hair out. Great guys here.

I'm currently using moly on my bullets but may change over to the hbn when my (free!) supply of moly runs out. The only problem I've had with the moly is that it's a huge mess to deal with, otherwise it's worked just fine for me. The biggest benefit is not having to clean as often to retain accuracy.
Cheers,
crkckr

I have had 0 cold weld problems with either moly or HBN.
This summer I pulled over 200 loaded rounds of 416 Remington , all had moly tumbled bullets. Using an impact bullet puller. I had reduced the diameter of the neck expander in my sizing die to give 8 thousandth neck tension . And crimped them tight with a Lee Factory Crimp die. They averaged 5 wacks with the bullet puller. These rounds had been loaded in 2006. So they had been stored loaded for more than 13 years.
When I loaded some new bullets afterward. Then some of them still Weren't what I was wanting so I pulled down around 35 rounds with the same tool. Took the same number and force of the blows with the impact bullet puller.
I stopped using moly and went to HBN originally because I couldn't find moly powder any longer.
I'm very glad I made the switch. I find HBN to be much better.
As all my rifles are hunting rifles. Having the cold bore shot being inside the group is really important to me. The reduced friction and ease of cleaning is great also.

I have only used Tubbs HBN for two years now and will stay with them.
Since the powder is super slick I put a teaspoon of HBN into the rest of my wheel bearing grease,mixed it up and man it is slicker than snot on glass!
I expect my boat wheel bearings to last much longer with HBN.
I also mixed a little HBN powder into Kroil and soaked my fishing reel bearings over night and had to reset the spool pressure as it casts much farther now.
I am looking for different applications for HBN besides coating bullets and barrels.
I plan on trying to coat cast bullets as I take them out of the mold and into the HBN powder while still warm or maybe adding HBN to my home made bullet lube.
Just my 2 cents
Old Rooster

Tubbs said that due to a slicker surface in the barrel the pressure would drop and velocity would drop also but my 300 win mag only dropped about 18- 20 fps.Point of aim dropped slightly too so I had to readjust for the use of HBN.
Tubbs also said to mix with rubbing alcohol to put in cleaned barrels as well as Bolts in bolt action rifles and BCG for AR's which I have done.I also use the rubbing alcohol/HBN mixture and put on raceways on bolt actions and AR's too so I did and they are much slicker.I have a 5.56x45 AR and a 6.5 Grendel AR and both cycle with ease but I don't shoot enough to see if high volume use will still yield the same results.
I have not tried to put just powder on BCG's as it will just blow away even though it may get into the substructure of the metal.I feel the alcohol/HBN mixture works well so why change what works.
That's my 2 cents worth
Old Rooster

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.