Questions for Gunsmiths.

critter

Hello everyone. I have some questions, but first I wanted to say that this forum site is a wealth of knowledge. I have already changed my reloading and shooting habits. This place rocks.
Now as a novice LR hunter and shooter I am still learning about gunsmithing techniques. Can someone please explain (in laymans terms please) the flowing:

#1 bluprinting
#2 truing
#3 accurizing
Thank you guys!
--Critter

Hey Critter, I am not a gunsmith, but I will take a stab at your questions;

1. Blueprinting-I believe this is when the gunsmith make sure that the barrel and action are alligned and matched perfectly togather.

2. Truing-This is when the gunsmith looks at the action and makes sure all things are matched up and alligned, if they are not, he makes the neccessary changes to the Action to make sure that all is well.

3. Accurizing-Baisaclly all things mentioned above including, Bedding the stock, making sure action and barrel fit perfectly in the stock, free floting barrel, crowning barrel.

Like I said, I am not a gunsmith, but I think I am close. I am sure Kirby or Shawn will give a better answer to your questions. I am sure they will give you an answer soon.

Wildcat

Critter,

Wildcat has you on the right track. I always considered truing a lesser and included part of bluprinting. Blueprinting is when you set put to make the action as it was intended to be, square surfaces, threads cut perpendicular to the axis of the bore, mating surfaces even to each other and also in line with the bore axis relation, etc.
Accurizing is some what all inclusive, this can include blueprinting, bedding, barrel floating, trigger tuning, scope base bedding, ring lapping, setting back chambers and rechambering, crowning, etc.

Hope this answers most of your questions. Enjoy the site.

We could write a book explaining what goes into these steps but you have gotten the general idea.

Basically the point is to make a receiver as square and true to the axial alignment of the receiver as possible. Think of the receiver as a foundation for a house. If the foundation is square and true from the start, the rest of the house goes up very easily and also true and square.

If the foundation is off then it just gets worse and the house is build.

Same with rifles, The receiver is your foundation so to speak. If it is as square as possible the rest of the rifle will fallow suit with good machining and bedding. If it is not, the problems will be magnified down range.

Generally, the larger the round the rifle is chambered for, the more perfect you need the rifle to get accurate results.

If you find gunsmiths that are building highly consistant and accurate large, hi intensity rifles, they know what they are doing when they set up a receiver to build on.

Kirby Allen(50)

You guys rock! Thanks for the info. I still have alot to learn.
I gotta tell you guys that it is outstnding to have a place like this where the senior members have the patience to deal with newbies like me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.