Question on tenon size after threading...

Remeasured the recoil lug hole, and the problem there is that it's slightly oblong (Savage OEM). The minimum diameter I found is actually 1.059, hence the failure to feed. Thought 0.002 should have allowed it to slide on, but wrote it off to sloppy measuring.

From my googling, a Savage tenon should be 1.055" (for example, Preferred Barrel Blanks) so this one is definitely oversized. As were two previous ones I purchased a couple years back, which wouldn't take a different OEM recoil lug or a EABCO aftermarket one, and one of them wouldn't even thread into the nut/receiver.

Have contacted manufacturer, and won't be doing any DIY fixes till that has gone it's course. The last time they fixed it in a relatively quick turn around.

Regardless, back to my initial question. How much does a standard threading job knock off the OD of a tenon, or is it variable?

EDIT TO ADD: I went ahead and bought another EABCO, which claims it will fit 1.060 tenon. I didn't get one initially, as they will not fit OEM Savage accustock inlet, and I had to modify the first one I purchased. Sorta forgot that this action is going into an XLR Element Mg, which has plenty of space for the oversize lug and tapered sides of the EABCO.
If you order a pre-fit barrel, you have an option for a 1.06X +/-" for a small shank and 1.12X +/- for a large shank. So if you measure the OD of the tenon for what you have and measure the OD on the thread, the difference is the material is what was taken off during the threading process.

1688056542234.png

1688056595800.png

The above is from X-caliber, and the below is from Krieger.
1688057600577.png

Last edited:
First you can try to use a Remington 700 recoil lug for the 1.0625" the dia Savage it is the same basic diameter only the thread pitch is different.
They don't knock off metal when machining. It's machined to a specific "tolerance"...tolerences allow variables.
But you must make all the threads fit those tolerences for that size. So everything bolts together, to standardized industry specifications. SAE ..
Savage 1 1/16"X 20 must also conform to machining standards. Depending on the class of thread that is desired 2A or 3A. Actual toloerece 2A dia 1.0611" to 1.0530" and 3A 1.0625" to 1.0544"
Savage runs on the loose side 1.0550" Remington dia 1.060". Generally...I personally run 1.060" to 1.061" and snug fit, with lube.
Industrial exceptions in threads can exist for specific industrial purposes, like taps for threading zirconium parts in a reactor core, not readily available to the general public.
I would bore the hole out on the mill fixture I made for recoil lugs, as I true up actions and recut the action threads, do my barrel tennon is 1.071" so all recoil lug ID holes must be enlarged.
Being a grumpy old machinist and find this stuff easy, and hard to comprehend why people just don't fix it....but then I can't play like a real violinist who would have no patience with me.

I agree with others, it should fit.

I do not like pretending; if you need more ID in a recoil lug, you might give this a try.

View attachment 473830
http://www.bugholes.com/product-p/bug-lug-1077.htm

They are currently out, but give them a holler and ask them if this can work for you. Good luck!
Those are special purpose recoil lugs, which are made specifically for guys who re cut the action threads to true them up...where your barrel tenon dia has to be increased to match the dia increase of the trued action thread dia, usually a .010" will clean up so I make the tenon 1.071" and bore the recoillug in a fixture.
This recoil lug is Not for this standard thread application. Use the correct standard tenon thread dia tenon recoil lug, should be easily available, with millions of guns made.

Those are special purpose recoil lugs, which are made specifically for guys who re cut the action threads to true them up...where your barrel tenon dia has to be increased to match the dia increase of the trued action thread dia, usually a .010" will clean up so I make the tenon 1.071" and bore the recoillug in a fixture.
This recoil lug is Not for this standard thread application. Use the correct standard tenon thread dia tenon recoil lug, should be easily available, with millions of guns made.
That is why I responded as such.
They are currently out, but give them a holler and ask them if this can work for you. Good luck!