Question on resizing die

texas270

I have become very comfortable with the Forster resizing die which bumps the shoulder and allows a predertimed partial resizing of the neck. Really like it and have had great results.

Here's the question (problem); After shooting a cartirdge several times, I'm having trouble with with the cases not chambering and the problem seems to be lower down on the case, not the overall length or the shoulder length. So I need to resize the case, but would prefer not to resize with the standard resizing dies which will also bump the shoulder to a deminsion which is not right for my rifle. Just want to resize the sides of the case, not the neck or the shoulder, but can't find a die which does that.

Does this make sense? Anyone have any thoughts, especially a die which will only resize the sides of the case and not bump the shoulder?

Thanks in advance!!

Neil Jones Custom Products.

I've got a set of his dies for 6 Long Dasher. They squeeze down the sides by about .002 (.001 each side). The neck tension is determined by a bushing which is changeable, and the amount of neck size/shoulder bump is determined by how far in you screw the micrometer top.

He requires some cases that have been fired and fully fill the chamber to build the dies.

Last edited:
I have become very comfortable with the Forster resizing die which bumps the shoulder and allows a predertimed partial resizing of the neck. Really like it and have had great results.

Here's the question (problem); After shooting a cartirdge several times, I'm having trouble with with the cases not chambering and the problem seems to be lower down on the case, not the overall length or the shoulder length. So I need to resize the case, but would prefer not to resize with the standard resizing dies which will also bump the shoulder to a deminsion which is not right for my rifle. Just want to resize the sides of the case, not the neck or the shoulder, but can't find a die which does that.

Does this make sense? Anyone have any thoughts, especially a die which will only resize the sides of the case and not bump the shoulder?

Thanks in advance!!

I don't use them, but I think that the Redding body die may be what you need. Hopefully someone that uses them will respond and give the specifics.

The Redding Body Die also bumps the case shoulder, so I don't think that's what you want. I'm not immediately aware of a sizing die that will size the case body but not bump the shoulder as well. I'd suggest trying something like the Redding Instant Indicator, that will allow you to measure the amount of shoulder bump you're getting, and adjust your die to the minimum bump possible - or no bump at all. A set of die shims would also you in this quest.

Thanks in advance!!

I think you answered the question in your post.

* take a case fired one time, and look for the bright ring forming just above the base. Now take one of your cases that won't chamber and measure the diameter at that ring on both cases. If there is much more than .0015" difference, you need to back your load off a bit. If the cases are identical, then I'd be doing a chamber case. You may have an undersized chamber, or a short gauge line deminsion.

* now you should bump the shoulder every so many firings (will vary per gun). Some are every three rounds and some may eight to ten. Also it appears your trying to partial neck size with a full length sizer. I know folks that have tried this in the past, and all gave up on the idea
gary

That is some great feedback. thank you.

I think a custom die, such as "Neil Jones" is a great way to go.

Also appreciate the feedback from Trickymisfit on case expansion. may need to back the load off.

thanks

Neil Jones FL die will run about $200 and 30-60 days. Absolutely top notch.

there is another way also to consider.

buy a Redding body die and send it to Jim Carstenson at JLC Precision along with cases fired 3x. [email protected]

Cost is $80 and he will convert the body die to a FL bushing die that is custom honed for your actual chamber. Time is 2-4 weeks max.

BH

That is some great feedback. thank you.

I think a custom die, such as "Neil Jones" is a great way to go.

Also appreciate the feedback from Trickymisfit on case expansion. may need to back the load off.

thanks

I'm not saying your load is bad, but I think I'd be checking it. I use a regular bump die with cases I neck size (Reddings mostly). And that measurment is tricky to do, to be honest with you. Still a very simple check is with a bright flashlight and a known to be flat surface. Just lay the case on it's side and shine the flashlight on the backside. If you see light comming thru under the case, you know there is a bulge somewhere.

The hassel with Niel Jones (unless things at his place has greatly changed) is the long lead time in getting the work done. Harrell is better and much faster, and you can also send three or four cases to Forster for a custom set of dies about a much cheaper price tag. Myself, I'd send some cases to Harrell and be done with it
gary

Tricky,

Thanks again, much, for the interesting input.

You mentioned, "Harrell"....is that JLC Precision or whom?

I am definately going to follow up with one of them after I fire form some cases this weekend.

all the best...

Tricky,

Thanks again, much, for the interesting input.

You mentioned, "Harrell"....is that JLC Precision or whom?

I am definately going to follow up with one of them after I fire form some cases this weekend.

all the best...

Harrell is most know for his powder measurers, but he also does custom dies. He only lists PPC cases, but he does the full spectrum. The JLC stuff is excellent, but I like the concept that Harrell uses. And you simply don't get any nicer than Mr. Harrell!

www.harrellsprec.com

(540) 380-2683

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.