Question on case length and highest accuracy?

budlight

This could be any case, but today I'm interested to hear from BR shooters about .223 cases. The nominal length is 1.750 + or - .010

Do you gain anything by using a long throat to 1.760 or less throat to 1.740

I'm using a 20 inch shilen match grade SS AR-15 1:8 with 75 grain match bullets.

Throat is the wrong terminology.

Neck length is what you are talking about. I like longer than shorter. My 223 has a chamber that will accept a 1.795" case. So trimming to 1.750" is pointless. Most factory chambers are about .050" longer than minimum trim length.

I trim when my 223 cases exceed 1.775"

Throat is the wrong terminology.

Neck length is what you are talking about. I like longer than shorter. My 223 has a chamber that will accept a 1.795" case. So trimming to 1.750" is pointless. Most factory chambers are about .050" longer than minimum trim length.

I trim when my 223 cases exceed 1.775"

Yes, i know..... I could not edit it after posting. so in your opinion, you like long necks to support the bullet better.

I've tried about 10 powders so far and H-414 and AR-comp are on the top so far. Leverevolution is also a good choice

Yes. At 1.750" the neck is too short for me. A longer neck gives you a better purchase on the bullet. This is very important in semiauto applications because you don't want setback during feeding. This is also important with bolt guns if you use bushing dies as they don't size the whole neck.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.