Question on Blackhorn 209 Powder

The Oregonian

I have not hunted with ML in 5 years and sold the gun at the same time.…I have an oppty to go on a ML hunt this year in KS (will have to switch my tag from rifle to ML but that shouldn't be a problem) and so have been scrambling for the last 24 hrs trying to see if I could find components. I found a few lbs of BH209 and 500 or so CCI 209M primers in my garage - they have been sitting in there for about 3 years in a detached garage in Montana, so they have seen cold *** winters and plenty of 95*+ days as well.

Would you have any concerns about trying them out? Not that there are a ton of other options without putting my wallet through the ringer, but if there is a safety issue then I'll figure out a different solution for sure.

Thanks

Blackhorn 209 can be measured by volume and by weight but they are different. I plan to change to 209 from pyrodex magnum pellets this fall in my TC Encore. As far as sitting for 5 years I would not hesitate to use what you have but I would start out slow and shoot through a chronograph. The folks who make blackhorn 209 have charge weights on their website in volume and in grains by weight. Look there first.

About 77 gr by weight is about 100 gr by volume in the older stuff, depends on the lot though-- the newer stuff I have heard it has changed a bit