Question about Whidden pointing die internals, if you have one

calgarycanada

This thread is not for discussion about if it's worth it or not, so please avoid such responses.

I have a question for people who own one of these. From what I can see they use Forster seating die body with their caliber sleeves, die inserts and pointing die base. My question is, is it possible to buy just caliber sleeve, die insert, base and use it in Forster seating die?

Reason why I'm asking is coz I have extra Forster seating die that I don't use anymore, so if I can save $$$ why not.

So if you have whidden pointing die can you please take it apart and tell me if those are the only parts in it or if it has more in it then above mentioned parts.

I'll really appreciate your help. Thanks

I have both and the Whidden looks different to me. Don't want to take it apart though. The Whidden die body seems like it is made of plastic. You're going to have to buy the Whidden sleeve and pointer specific to your bullet so if saving money is the primary objective, buy the parts and try them in the Forster die.

If it were me, I'd buy the complete Whidden system. If you try retrofitting the Forster, you might end up trashing the parts and the Forster die body.

Mikecrs,
I've never done this before but after reading your response to calgarycanada I have to say - you sound offensive to me! What's wrong with helping someone try to save money, and then encouraging others to fallow.? I believe finding a less expensive way is quite inovative, even smart!
Tom

The problem is that it hurts all of us in the long run.
Innovations need to viable, or they don't see the light of day and we no longer get them.

For instance; Someone wants to bring a new widget to reloaders. They risk resources(including their personal time) for R&D. Then with a few sold, the product picks up some steam, and things are looking good. Others with ideas are more motivated to get em out there.
Then it happens, as it is more often these days,, somebody decides to undermine the innovator either to save a buck or divide the market(greed over ethics). Now things fall apart for the guy who went the extra mile for us.

Others with ideas then see it plain as day. They have no choice but to consider this -before going forward with any R&D or bringing anything to market.
This is bad for us.
I've personnally shelved several innovations that YOU need(whether you know it or not) because of this. And I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Those who remember ethics understand what I'm saying. But even with no awareness of ethics, or customer loyalty, you should be able to recognize economics for it's double edge.
OP wants Whidden's efforts, but wants to work around paying for Whidden's efforts. It's not in Whidden's best interest, nor OURs, to assist with this.
It's not the right thing to do

I'm not going to spend a week here trying to dispute your explanation or give reason as to what I said-should anyone else choose to read these comments, I believe common sense will prevale.
Tom

I'm not going to spend a week here trying to dispute your explanation or give reason as to what I said-should anyone else choose to read these comments, I believe common sense will prevale.
Tom

Mikecr,
after re-reading my post it occurred to me that maybe the original point I was trying to make wasn't clear enough - My intention and hope in addressing your comment to calgarycanada was-that you would recognize the harshness in the way you handled him.
Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.