Question about my new barrel?

Jeffrthehunter

I just had my Remington 700 .270 WSM rebarreled. I went will a #4 contour 6 fluted with muzzle brake (brake was installed by my gunsmith). I notice while looking down the barrel that there is a thin spot (4'' from the muzzle is a smaller diameter than 2" from muzzle). It is very easy to see as you sight down the barrel, looks wavy and is no way a true taper. I just dont like it but maybe I am just being to critical, any thoughts?

Thanks, Jeff

Last edited:
Have you actually measured it and verified that it's smaller?
It gets bigger by .010" then tapers back down. It does not seem right and if they screwed up while turning the barrel I feel they should make it right. On the other hand if this is normal (commonly happens) and will not cause POI problems I will just forget about it.
Thanks, Jeff

You can see that the barrel contour is not straight, I measured it with digital calipers.
Are you talking about the inside or outside of the barrel? I thought you were talking about a bulge in the bore. If outside I would say it is just cosmetic. Bummer though.

Steve

Since you already threaded the end, chambered it, cut the tenon, etc. you would have to redo all of that work. I know tjat would drive me nuts too. I would shoot it and see how it does first. But call Brux and see what they say.

Since you already threaded the end, chambered it, cut the tenon, etc. you would have to redo all of that work. I know tjat would drive me nuts too. I would shoot it and see how it does first. But call Brux and see what they say.
Most I have ever spent on a barrel/hunting gun and it just looks bad. I am guessing they had a finish issue while turning profile and needed to sand/polish in that area. I know Brux does good work but probably will not go the direction again.

My Brux is a 4R 6mm and it shoots lights out! I have Kreigers, Shilens, etc. but the Brux is my favorite. I talked to them before I bought it and I am sure if you call they will listen. I bet if it is only cosmetic on the outside, they can fix it. If inside, I would say they will replace it. I am hoping for you it's outside so you can keep it since work has been done on it and I know you don't want to go through that again, plus the time.

My Brux is a 4R 6mm and it shoots lights out! I have Kreigers, Shilens, etc. but the Brux is my favorite. I talked to them before I bought it and I am sure if you call they will listen. I bet if it is only cosmetic on the outside, they can fix it. If inside, I would say they will replace it. I am hoping for you it's outside so you can keep it since work has been done on it and I know you don't want to go through that again, plus the time.
I did talk to someone at Brux and they said send it in a they will make it look perfect! So great to get customer service like that....

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.