Question about bullet drag function settings?

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by Fiftydriver, Aug 3, 2003.

1. Fiftydriver

Fiftydriver <strong>Official LRH Sponsor</strong>

To all,

I was just playing around with some numbers on my ballistic program and was wondering what do the different drag functions represent?

The program lists the fallowing as choices:
    G1
    G2
    G5
    G6
    G7
    G8
    GL
    GI

What do these different functions represent. I assume they are scales for different types of bullet designs but do not know for sure.

I am most interested in which one to use for VLD types of bullets.

Thanks for the time and information!!!

Good Shooting!!!

[ 08-04-2003: Message edited by: Fiftydriver ]

2. 700

700 Well-Known Member

3. MAX

MAX Well-Known Member

Your assumption is essentially correct, the higher "G" numbers representing lower drag form standards for comparison.

The link above offers a decent explanation. "VLD" is a term not a specific design. Any data you derive from the Ballistics Programs with inserted 'G' values will be an approximation(perhaps close) that will need verification at the range.

4. JackRabbitSquare

JackRabbitSquare Well-Known Member

After reading the site that 700 posted it looks like g5 or g7 would be what you would use for the 300gr MK. I ran the calculations and they seem way high. I understand that any chart will have to be customized but would the g5 drag function be closer to the bullets performance then say g1 which seems more reasonable?

** nevermind after reading around on the sierra site I found the info I needed **

[ 08-06-2003: Message edited by: Pennell ]

5. MAX

MAX Well-Known Member

6. squirrelsniper

squirrelsniper New Member

MAX, try this link to JBM - JBM

7. MAX

MAX Well-Known Member

Thanks, appreciate that. Was cybermesa, now eskimos? [​IMG] Love that site, hadn't been there recently.