Question about 240 Weatherby Caliber

banded

I have an itch for one of these. I have been looking for a Mark V in the 240 WB, however no luck yet. So I have been thinking about having a gun rechambered to the 240wb. My question is can I have my 243 rifle rechambered to the 240 wb? Thanks

Answer... Yes.

What is the twist of your current bbl?

Just remember, you'll pay a bunch more for brass, about $1.00 a piece.
But, hey.. you only live once... go ahead and scratch that itch. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I have an itch for one of these. I have been looking for a Mark V in the 240 WB, however no luck yet. So I have been thinking about having a gun rechambered to the 240wb. My question is can I have my 243 rifle rechambered to the 240 wb? Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe
But to do it properly you would need to set the barrel back about 1 1/2" because of the belt which is the same dia. as the base of the 243 then steps down .020".
Since the 240 is an orphan case(no other commercial cartridges use the same case) I would look at the 6mm-06. Same performance but you can use 30-06 Lapua brass or any cheap 30-06 brass you wish to use. I believe with the 240 your stuck with Norma.

Ok. That is something to think about. I will have to check about the 240 bc the case is 300 thousandths longer than the 6mm, so I am wondering if it would feed. Can a 243 be rechambered to the 6/06?

Thanks

I would not get a factory 240 Wby. They only come in 24 inch #2 profile barrels with a 1-10 twist. You really can't get all of the benefits of the case with that barrel length. I also assume you have some experience reloading because shooting factory ammo is going to burn some money and provide little that the 243 won't do reasonably well.

A 30 inch heavy contour barrel in about a 1-8 twist or maybe a 1-9 twist will stabilize the 105 -115 (and most likely the 120 grain) VLD bullets. That barrel lenght will burn a lot of powder.

If you get a minimum SAAMI chamber with no freebore throated to a VLD then the cartridge performs very well. You may not be able to use factory ammo anymore because of the pressure without the freebore

I had a 240 Wby 1-10 twist medium profile 26 inch barrel taken off of a FN action and the current 1-8 twist 30 inch barrel installed. It was restocked with a Joel Russo stock.

At a few hundred feet above sea level, I run a 1000 yard drop of 21.5 inches with the 115 Berger

Norma/Wby brass is very good quality brass but it is a little softer than most. That doesn't bother me because after I have driven 3000 miles to shoot some antelope, I really don't worry about the prices of a few cases that I may ruin by loading up to max pressure.

240 WBY

On eastern whitetail deer and antelope the gun in the configuration I shoot is probably good to exactly 1000 yards and on a calm day maybe I might stretch it further. The best I have done so far is 860 yards on antelope.

Shooting antelope

Sorry I dropped the ball there.
As per docp's question. If it's a short action then the answer to both the 240 and 6mm-06 is NO. I had assumed it to be a long action.

Hi you could do a 6mm284 on a short action with an extended mag box it will give you the same performance with greater flexibility and i believe it is a better designed case. The only reason for the longer mag box is to load the 107gr+ vld's out further to allow more space in the case for powder. I would look at a 9 twist and it should do up to 107gr projectiles without any hassle. you can also have your factory 243 barrel rechambered to 6mm284 depending on the neck diameter you may have to set it back 1/4" that is it. I believe it is a better conversian that hhe 6mm06 0r 240. Ask Kirby he has some info on them.

If you want a real fire breather you can open the boltface to magnum and run a 6mm Remington short action ultra mag. That will realy get the projectiles hunting out there and would also fit the mag box well and be able to push the 120gr Wildcats out at a great velocity but a slightly faster twist than 9 would be needed for the 120's mabe a 8.5 twist at those velocities.

Cheers Bill
Australia

You can get similar performance with the .243 Ackley Improved with not much change, I wouldn't rule out a bit of free bore either most of my rifles have it and don't suffer in accuracy...Match grade barrels are hard to beat especially ones with a twist to match the bullet you intend to shoot and with enough length to utilize powder...

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.