Here's a question about the 338 caliber

freebird63

So if a person was going to have a custom 338 built which would it be?
338 Ultra Mag
338 Edge
338 Lapua
When I first got my 300RUM I was thinking I can't wait to load up some 150gr or 168gr ammo and push it out there at 3300-3500fps. But have changed my thinking, these bigger guns are meant to push the big bullets. At least this is my thinking. But to me a nice big sleek bullet with a high BC pushing a mile to mile and a half. Dang.
I know alot of people like shooting the 150's and 168gr bullets out of their 300RUM's, hey what ever floats your boat. I would rather have a 200, 210, 220 or 240gr bullet hitting 3000fps and doing it very accurately. Ya I know 3000fps with a 240gr SMK might be hard to get and also be accurate.
But hey what do I know, am just a small town scooby

I had the same questions as you when I built my custom 338 Lapua. I got the rifle and shot a couple hundred rounds through it. Rifle shoots fantastic but I decided I wanted a little more. I sent the rifle back to my smith (Joe Starns) and had him put a 30" Lilja, #8 contour, 1-10 twist, chambered for 338 Lapua Improved.
I will have the option of switching barrels if I decide I want to go back to the 338 Lapua but see no reason for doing so at this time.
All said and done, I should have ordered one of Kirby's big magnums in the 1st place and been done with it :cool:.

For performance the EDGE has the Edge, for cost and simplicity the 338 RUM is my first
choice and the ballistics are almost the same as the other two.

Brass for the Lapua is second to none and if I were going to use this brass (Requires a larger
bolt face than the RUM or the Edge) I would go ahead and Improve it with less body taper
and a 37.5 to 40o shoulder for more performance and brass life.

If you aren't into reloading yet then go with the 338 RUM .

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

If you want to shoot the 300 gr Sierra Match King, any of the three you listed ought to do just fine. If you are not planning to shoot the 300 gr SMK, you ought to explore the 200 gr Accubond and the 240 gr SMK in your 300 RUM. I don't have any experience with the 240 gr SMK on game but the 200 gr Accubond has performed well on several elk for me and my hunting buddies.

What ever you do, don't order a Kirby built rifle for at least 6 months! I don't want him to be too busy to work on the 338Ax I ordered :D.....

Just kidding. I made the decision that I only wanted to do this once, and decided the improved version of the lapua case would be best. Who knows, maybe after I shoot this gun for a while, I will be wanting an Allen Magnum on the CheyTac case...

aroshtr

I would first decide how far you plan on shooting. If your new to longrange keep the 300 and load it with either 175 or 200 grainers. After you build your experice rebarrel for the caliber of your choice. Me I was going to have a 338 rum built but I am in he process of picking parts for my 7mm Allen mag. Which will out do the 338 rum at a 1000.

Freebird63, You mentioned, a bullet with a high BC pushing a mile to mile and a half. That's 1760yards to +2600 yards. In that case then I'd suggest the 338 Allen Magnum. Peresonally the 338AM is too much for me so I opted for the 338AX but, then again I'm not looking to shoot close to a mile or beyond.

.338 RUM- most economical big .338 to shoot, and does hand in with the edge and Lapua. I have one, but am not profficient to even 800 yards yet with it, 400 yards shy of hunting potential.good in a sporter wieght rifle. 2700-2800fps.

.338 EDGE- If your going econonmy custom, the way to go. out does the .338 RUM by about 100fps depending on if its a fast or slow barrel. it also has good barrel life and brass is on the cheap side. good in a sporter wieght as well.
2750-2850fps.

.338 Lapua- performs somewhat similar to the edge on a shorter fater case. it is easier to have a slightly longer COAL. with the fatter case comes the issue of only the beefy actions can handle it (IMO). Brass is extremly good but pricey. 2750-2850

.338 Lapua Imp.- you gain a fair amount on the Lapua like JE CUSTOM said. IMO if one were to build on a Lapua case I would go with the Imp. should get you around the 3000 Fps mark.

.338-.378 Wby- Fat, Long and can only be handled by the beffiest factory action and good customs. the Wby Mark 5 is the action of choice for this one. decent brass but pricey and a long COAL but your in with th big boys now. 3100 fps with the 300SMK.

.338 Allen Mag.- The heavywieght .338. based off the .408 Chey-Tac and is Kirby Allens monster. It will be about the fastest thing in .338 and will drive a 300 SMK @ 3400 fps. Hard on barrels but a true 1.5KM+ cartrige. BIG CUSTOM ACTION ONLY. pricey but sweet... i want one.

There are a few in between, but those are the main ones. Kahn, Excalier, .338-416 Rigby Imp. are in there if you wanna look them up. I'm sure that LTLR will come chip in, listen to him when it comes to .338's.

I agree with Chas1 and Angus. If you are looking at shooting a mile or further the three you listed are not for you. Kirby's chey-tac based 338 and several other wildcats based off the chey-tac would be the best. If not then the excalibur or a improved 378 or rigby case. I have never met Kirby but through exchanging emails and on here I can tell you he has put a lot of work into his version to make it as good as there is out there. Like these guys said, a Kirby built 338 off the chey-tac would be my dream rifle for extreme long range.

But if I were you I would get some 177 grain GS bullets with the high bc (mid .6's) and drive them 3450+ fps. They will easily get you 1200 yards at big game. Other than an extreme specialty rifle what else do you need. I shoot a 208 Amax in my 300 ultras at 3225 fps and again it is good to 1200 yards I would think. I was busting rocks across a canyon at 1500 yards with it. Also I shoot 200 grain accubonds in mine at 3250 fps and again I know it will kill big game at 1200 yards.

When your barrel burns out call pac-nor and order a 338-300 ultramag barrel and screw it in. Then your good to go again at 1200 yards just with more thump when it gets there. I built 50-75 338-300 ultramags with pac-nor barrels and the quality/accuracy is excellent. Chris runs a very good shop with as good a quality control on metal work as I have seen.

Can you give me your details with your 208 A-Max load, I do like those. Just loaded up the last of mine tonight, but am not going to waste any more powder or bullets until I can get the trigger worked over or a new one, my stock trigger sucks and I don't feel I can be very accurate with it.

Last edited:
I shoot 106 grains of H-870 which gives an average muzzle velocity of 3226 fps in my 28" Hart barrel 300 ultramag with Sako action (1-10 twist). It averages a little under 2" groups at a quarter mile.

LTLR, am I reading your post right that your loading a 300 ultramag with 106 grains?

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts