Question. . . .44 or .45 cal. bullets ? ? ?

Fun isn't it :D

Although you'll find some bad reports with the Hornady XTP bullets, they are really great bullets for moderate ranges. There has been a lot of whitetail harvested with the XTP's and back in the day, I've taken quite a few using them myself. We started out using the .44 300gr many years ago, when sabots first hit the market. Back then, the sabots weren't matched with bullets and it was much more "trial & error". We tried shooting them from our sidehammers, but the twist wasn't for saboted bullets. When the first Knight hit the market, things changed....

Great report!

The reason your face is working loose most likely is the fact it's "springing" and vibrating with every shot.

It is a possibility. I wouldn't think you would get much "spring" or flex from a 3/4" section of plywood 16"x16" that was screwed in all the way around with 2 1/2" deck screws. There was definitely some sort of force to pull those screws out.

Fun isn't it :D

Although you'll find some bad reports with the Hornady XTP bullets, they are really great bullets for moderate ranges. There has been a lot of whitetail harvested with the XTP's and back in the day, I've taken quite a few using them myself. We started out using the .44 300gr many years ago, when sabots first hit the market. Back then, the sabots weren't matched with bullets and it was much more "trial & error". We tried shooting them from our sidehammers, but the twist wasn't for saboted bullets. When the first Knight hit the market, things changed....

Yes, it is a lot of fun tinkering. . .as long as I find light at the end of the tunnel though - LOL! I must say. . .I really didn't think it could handle the velocity. I shoot/reload the XTP in both 45ACP and 10mm and they make BIG holes and don't stay together as well. I would love to try some Deep Curls if Speer would ever start manufacturing them again also the Swift A-Frames and Partitions if they didn't brake the bank. Thanks again for your advice earlier in this post.

COME ON HUNTING SEASON ! ! ! :rolleyes:

It is a possibility. I wouldn't think you would get much "spring" or flex from a 3/4" section of plywood 16"x16" that was screwed in all the way around with 2 1/2" deck screws. There was definitely some sort of force to pull those screws out.

Yes, it is a lot of fun tinkering. . .as long as I find light at the end of the tunnel though - LOL! I must say. . .I really didn't think it could handle the velocity. I shoot/reload the XTP in both 45ACP and 10mm and they make BIG holes and don't stay together as well. I would love to try some Deep Curls if Speer would ever start manufacturing them again also the Swift A-Frames and Partitions if they didn't brake the bank. Thanks again for your advice earlier in this post.

COME ON HUNTING SEASON ! ! ! :rolleyes:
Plywood has a lot of spring to it.

The energy of a bullet striking it mostly goes through it but there's a great deal of "shock" on impact along with vibration.

One of the main reason we moved to plywood from lumber for many high impact applications in fact is it's ability to "spring" back from impacts instead of shattering or splitting.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.