Purpose built Pronghorn rifle

How well I know!
I have lived here in North central Wyoming only a few years , but in 3 hunting seasons I have spent alot of time wishing for more cover and less wind!!!! I have one spot i go where if the cross wind is less then about 40 mph its consider a still day!!!!!:)

It has a #5 Hart barrel and a McMillan A2 stock

How do you like the #5 and the A2 combo? I'm building a 300 Norma Imp with a A3-5 adj and a #5 brux.

I like it pretty well. I didn't actually spec out the rifle ahead of time, I just built with components I picked up along the way. The stock has an adjustable cheekpiece and the buttplate inserts to adjust length of pull. I like the overall feel of the stock and it seems to balance pretty well with the 28" #5 barrel. All together a very nice rig for prone or supported shooting but a little heavy for offhand shots.

I like it pretty well. I didn't actually spec out the rifle ahead of time, I just built with components I picked up along the way. The stock has an adjustable cheekpiece and the buttplate inserts to adjust length of pull. I like the overall feel of the stock and it seems to balance pretty well with the 28" #5 barrel. All together a very nice rig for prone or supported shooting but a little heavy for offhand shots.

I'm glad to hear that! I was affraid it might be too much stock for that barrel. If I don't like it I'll be ordering a carbon wrapped barrel for it.

Kinda of an old thread, but.... My 6-06 is a speed goat killer. 6mm high BC bullets at 3400 fps knock them flat on their ***. Run the numbers on the VLDS in a 6-06 or 6-06AI, they buck the wind and recoil is mild. Mine is built on a M70 w/ 1:10 Krieger @ 26".

Jon
IMAG0045.jpg

Kinda of an old thread, but.... My 6-06 is a speed goat killer. 6mm high BC bullets at 3400 fps knock them flat on their ***. Run the numbers on the VLDS in a 6-06 or 6-06AI, they buck the wind and recoil is mild. Mine is built on a M70 w/ 1:10 Krieger @ 26".

Jon
IMAG0045.jpg
What finish and color is that on your rifle? I have a build in progress & looking for color and finish like yours. How's is it holding up? You have a great looking gun!
thanks,
Gene

Last edited:
What finish and color is that on your rifle? I have a build in progress & looking for color and finish like yours. How's is it holding up? You have a great looking gun!
thanks,
Gene

Gene,

The coating is cerakote and has worked great, 3 of my rifles have been done and all are holding up great.

Stock - Federal Brown/black web
Metal - Coyote Tan

Jon

I think anything .264 is perfect although I've killed more of mine with the .300 win and a 180 partition. Here are the specs and a pic of my purpose built goat rig it also works on other things. Rem 721 blue printed, fluted bolt, 6.5x.284 28" brux #5 1-8", shilen trigger, gentry 3 *** safety,metal KG coated, H-S prohunter adl stock, ptg trigger guard, seekins rings and bases, leupold 4.5-14x50 VX3LR with FFP genII reticle by premeire & M1 turrets. Load is 140AMAX over 50.5 grns rl17 CCI BR primer, lapua brass, 3125 @ 75 degrees.

6.5X.284 005.jpg

Jon
IMAG0045.jpg
Sweet rig! That caliber is crazy! I was with a buddy hunting coyotes under a full moon with his 6mm catbird. He was shooting 85 gr bullets at around 3800 -3900 is what he said. When he'd shoot those coyotes at 30 yds it was not pretty.

Goat WHACKER,338 Norma

That pronghorn is a stud! If I were going .338 the Norma would probably get the nod but I'm looking for something a little lighter.

Thanks for all the replies so far, a fellow made me a handsome offer on the Remington the other day so it went down the road. right now it's looking like the .264 Winchester Magnum is going to get the nod in the M70, there is a Savage hanging around also though!

Bob

Sweet rig! That caliber is crazy! I was with a buddy hunting coyotes under a full moon with his 6mm catbird. He was shooting 85 gr bullets at around 3800 -3900 is what he said. When he'd shoot those coyotes at 30 yds it was not pretty.

I don't doubt it none... I shoot the 85gr BTSP's at 3750 and my P dog poofer is a 70gr NBT @ 4000+ and mine is a standard 6-06. The 6-06AI is a good 200 fps faster on the heavier bullets per my smith.

Your 6.5 is a fine looking stick as well :D

Jon

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.