Pulled 30 cal military bullets AP?

Riceguy

Hey guys I inherited a lot of reloading component's from an Uncle, there is a box of pulled 150 grn bullets with the cana-lure. It said AP which I assume stands for armor piercing But the armor piercing bullets that I do have in the original military boxes all are black tipped. The pulled ones just are plain as in FMJ's. What's your opinion?

You can try putting a magnet to one, and if it sticks, it could be AP. Or it could be some type of steel case fmj. You can take a hacksaw (or Dremel with a cutting wheel), and carefully cut around the bullet through thecannelure, and eventually you will cut through the lead core. When you get toward the middle, the tungsten core will be quite evident. If you can cut all the way around the core, you can slip the front and back half of the bullet off, and the core will remain.

You can try putting a magnet to one, and if it sticks, it could be AP. Or it could be some type of steel case fmj. You can take a hacksaw (or Dremel with a cutting wheel), and carefully cut around the bullet through thecannelure, and eventually you will cut through the lead core. When you get toward the middle, the tungsten core will be quite evident. If you can cut all the way around the core, you can slip the front and back half of the bullet off, and the core will remain.
Thanks for the tip, will try that. the bullet covering appears to be standard copper.

If they are in the 163 to 165 gr they are probably armour piercing 150gr would probably be regular ball ammo

All the tungsten core I have dealt with had a black tip. Red or sort of orange was tracer.
Plain tip was Ball Ammo and had lead core.
Those tungsten cores make a great center punches. Just lathe a #9 hole in the end of a 3/8" piece of hex stock and put a nice taper to the hole. Set the tungsten core on a piece or mild steel, Drive the hex down on the core.
Best center punch I have ever used.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.