Puffy Jacket

Western Mountaineering and Feathered Friends all the way. Made in America. We've had WM bags for decades in storms and below zero cold and they are bombproof. Good tents too, to be fair, from Mountain HardWare. Remember though, on recommending brands, that the owners of brands have changed; sometimes the beancounters have taken the helm. This doesn't seem to be true at WM and Feathered Friends.

Mountain HardWare has been sold, and I have no idea of the quality of the products, compared to the originals.

So, it is worth looking up who owns the brands now before you decide.

Stone Glacier was bought out by the same company that owns Federal, CCI, Blackhawk, Bushnell, they owned Savage for a bit, Weaver... Remington on and on

They've changed names a few times over the last several years, I think it's Vista Outdoors now.

It's worth trying on as much as you can, each brand has a different design philosophy relative to size. E.g rab has consistently longer center back length, arcteryx and mountain hardwear have longer arms per size than marmot, Mammut and Patagonia seems to consistently not have enough shoulder room on my frame. As such I skew towards brands that fit, my hunting buddy who is 10 inches shorter 100 lbs lighter and who has a wing span consistent to his height as opposed to my orangutan arms prefers other brands.

I'd not be to hung up on brand preference initially, just get to a mountaineering store if you can and try on several options.

That's super helpful, @Wyo37

Implying that puffys should not be sourced from mountaineering outfits, and/or that they are not an important piece of gear in the mountains without offering any reasoning or experience is pretty useless.

The lack of information in your post is astonishing.

Thanks for sharing your great attitude and wisdom with the kind folks here. Most generous! 🙄

I'm a big fan of down jackets and own several, from light weight up to full on parka.

For excursions above the treeline, I tend to favor an ultralight down midlayer (like Arcteryx cirrus), mainly for packability. In my experience, the combination of lightweight down insulation with a durable and waterproof hardshell is tough to beat in inclement weather, and offers good flexibility with layering options.

That's super helpful, @Wyo37

Implying that puffys should not be sourced from mountaineering outfits, and/or that they are not an important piece of gear in the mountains without offering any reasoning or experience is pretty useless.

The lack of information in your post is astonishing.

Thanks for sharing your great attitude and wisdom with the kind folks here. Most generous! 🙄

What is astonishing is you missed my previous post where I provided a great option, from a company that isn't hostile towards hunting, Stone Glacier. (Hint, I suggested their Grumman jacket. 5.3oz of 800 treated down)

I never said puffy jackets should not be sourced from "mountaineering outfits." My point was mountaineering companies aren't the only option any more.

I'm not sure why you feel the need to be so negative or condescending. How dare i help....

I'm learning a puffy is not for outer wear... It's more of a mid-layer ??
I imagined it's an outer jacket. I ordered an XL, it's way too small. Like T-shirt tight, slightly bigger.
It's going back now.

Depends on the puffy - it's becoming trendy to use them as an outer layer, so some are designed with that in mind. The problem is, if you take a durable waterproof shell and fill it with down, you end up with a Parka...

Not so packable...

Some puffys (like my Arcteryx Thorium SV) are optimized for this type of use, but it's a compromise. Heavier outer fabric brings the weight up and makes it less packable...

But it's still not waterproof, so throw rain or wet snow at it and it soaks up the water and becomes useless.

That's why a lot of guys prefer a hardshell that is durable, waterproof,light and packable, and a puffy that is light and packable.

This gives layering options, a hardshell to keep you dry while moving, and a puffy to put on under the hardshell when you stop.

That is why, traditionally a puffy is used primarily as an insulation layer.

With this in mind, you might be able to re-read this thread in a new light.

Outdoor Gear Lab does some pretty good reviews if you want to learn more;

Good luck in your quest!

Jumping in here…
Searching for the right puffy jacket and pants for a September Alaskan caribou hunt in the brooks range. Will have a hard shell for over the top.

What has worked in this "wet" type environment for down puffy? Does the water repellent down make a true difference?

My concern being it will likely get some moisture even under a hard shell. Not stuck on name brands, want warm, compressible and around 1lb.

Kuiu Super Down Pro
SG Gruman
Montbell Alpine
Black Ovis Anchor
Mountain Hardwear

Open to input

Jumping in here…
Searching for the right puffy jacket and pants for a September Alaskan caribou hunt in the brooks range. Will have a hard shell for over the top.

What has worked in this "wet" type environment for down puffy? Does the water repellent down make a true difference?

My concern being it will likely get some moisture even under a hard shell. Not stuck on name brands, want warm, compressible and around 1lb.

Kuiu Super Down Pro
SG Gruman
Montbell Alpine
Black Ovis Anchor
Mountain Hardwear

Open to input
The water proofing works until it doesn't. The only real way to avoid wet clumping and reducing down insulation is to use synthetic. Something like primaloft.

You're right though, it doesn't matter if it gets wet from the outside or the inside. Wet is wet, and the down looses its insulation, taking forever to dry.

Plus you're wet, so that adds to being cold. I might add that maybe don't wear down until you're static.

100% on only wearing the puffy when static, regardless of its water resistance. Never hunted Alaska mid September, trying to plan for worst case. Wind and rain, even buttoned up static in a hard shell…what ifs are getting to me.

Just purchased the SG Gruman. Like the detail and fit so far. I will be trying it out in a November Colorado Mule deer hunt this year while glassing if needed. Hope it will work out so it will be one item off my check list for my 2026 NWT Dall hunt.