Pueblo Colorado guy looking for some fun

kc0pph

Ok well Hi all. Im an average joe (Well Im Keith but thats besides the point) that enjoys exercising my 2nd ammendment rights. A little bio of me.

I was Born and Raised in Pueblo, Co (About 100 Miles South of Denver), enlisted in the Army Reserves at age 17 as a Petroleum Supply guy, spent a large amount of my childhood camping.

Goals are a good thing and i guess if i say a few of them some people that might be able to help me attain these goals might just pop up.

I want to kill my 1st elk (Hopefully will go hunting this year have a few options still so far concidering an offer in unit 12).
I want to be proficient at Wind Doping
I want to be proficient at Shooting 1000M targets (Possibly further).
I want to upgrade my 700BDL chambered in .270 Win
It has a 4-16x50 Tasco(Trash-co) scope and a marginal bipod. I Shoot Sierra 150 gn. SPBT using H4831 powder in my developed load. I only do precision loading for my 270 (Pistol i throw :D) Im looking for a new Stock, I re did the trigger to 3# exactly (using the scale that weighs my malted barley for making something else :D:D) I completely dissasembled the trigger (excluding the two pins that are crowned over) and using an arkansaw stone polished up every piece, then using a cotton cleaning rod and Jewlers Rouge attached onto my fancy Dewalt drill i polished the inside of the housing. Cleaned with Dawn and Water, then Alcohol then Cold Blue. Re assembling the whole thing took a liitle longer than expected as i did not take pictures, nor have i done this before. Now I did thouraghly check the safety of my trigger job but now i will not chamber a round until im ready to shoot. I was able to get the trigger down to about 5oz but did not fully check the reliability. In my oppinion it feels like a Jewle trigger (old buddie had one), as this has No creep or backlash and very crisp break.

I would also like to find a Chronograph for cheap eventually so i can work on my loads some more, and i would also like to always shoot through a Chrono so that i know if its me that is off, or the cartridge.

I am looking for people to go shooting with, i am also looking for places to shoot, currently there is Pueblo West Sportsmans Association but id rather not go there, and Rivers Edge. Rivers Edge is $10/hr/person or $200 per year for Rifle/pistol ranges only. There is also a place behind PPIR with 100Y range and im thinking you can shoot off the range proper (as its not an official range) and maybe get a 600 shot off, but i have yet to determine that is safe enough.

Im also looking to go coyote hunting and prarie dog hunting.

Well anyways im glad i found this site.

BLGC.org might be a little far for you, but they have a 600 yard range and there are still some membership openings.

Well i have looked into them, but if i have to drive 1.5 hours to get there it will cut down the amout of times i can go shoot, if i have to ill get in with them, but would prefer something a little closer.

Most of Pike National Forest in the Springs area is closed to recreational shooting. I don't know of many other places.

PW sportsmen has up to 425y ranges. Club is working at adding a 1000y range but I dont know status of that project.

Royal Gorge Gun Club in Canon has up to 1300y ranges.

Welcome to the forums.

My family let our membership lapse because of how crowded PW Shooting Club is. We like going out and taking our time shooting. It seems that PW is more into the putting targets down range shooting for 30 minutes and then getting off the range. The way i shoot i would shoot 3-4 rounds in that time if im lucky. I really wish i could find some public land or private land just to shoot on.

Hi, I live in Pueblo as well and am prior service Army. There is a very nice range in Canon City off of CO 143 in the NF. It is about 45 minutes from Pueblo West, has quite a few options as far as ranges and is free. Just take something fun to shoot at and you can spend a whole day there! Best of luck.​

Well Yesterday my father and i went out there and had a good time shooting. There was a trail (i think lewis) on the left hand side of the road (Comming from Canon City) that we parked at and hiked in about 200m. There was a canyon that we were shooting across that was pretty nice. It would be nice to find land even closer, Im thinking about talking to some ranchers on boggs flatts to see if they need prarie dog removal. If your interested sometime we can head up there and you can show me where you shoot and vise versa. Im horrible at guestimating distances and have yet to buy a range finder so i have no idea where my rifle is sighted in for, all i know is it took me a few rounds to hit a green tree sapling wayy out there :D

I've just moved out to the pueblo area as well. I am a member at Rivers edge outdoors. They are never crowded and you get your own range which is nice. The longest is 200yards. I want to start hunting as I have target shot my whole like, but would like to find a partner to show me the ropes.

Send me a text sometime local area code 369-5117

Rivers Edge is Too expensive IMO. I have since found private land that has unlimited ranges to shoot :)

-Keith

Both, mainly small game (WaterFowl) i just got a lab so ill be working on getting her ready for this season.

Which side of town you on? If you are famaliar with Park West That is where i am at.

As far as hunting for waterfowl i go to the res, 11 mile, and a few other spots.

For Small game i have a few spots in the mountains.

Elk hunting there are lots of good spots. Western Slope has More but eastern slope (Us) has bigger ones.

Deer and Antelope are plentiful even in the beulah area.

Im not sure where that is. Just moved to the area. I live in the landings at eagleridge in Pueblo.

I have target shot my whole life (Im 23 now) but was interested in learning the ropes from someone who hunts. It is something that interests me, but never got the opportunity to do it.

well send me a text, most of my hunting is done with a 12 gauge, right now is the off season but starting in september things start coming in season if i remember right.

i have not bought a tag yet for elk, but usually get Bull Statewide Over the Counter (They are unlimited), and if you get a bigger gun it would work great (Or possibly we can set you up with one of mine)...

Big Game season is in October (when i go) so its not too late :)

I still have not decided where im going yet, but hopefully ill be able to get out and scout.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.